Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to figure out how to remove the front grill for the life of me! I was going to replace the passenger side headlight bracket. Pulled air box, fender liner, removed bolts for the bracket. Then went to remove the grill to pull the bumper to get to the bracket. Pulled the emblem and I can get to the top screw for the grill just fine. But the grill still won't pop off. I can feel the second back end of another screw on the bottom of the grill. I don't see a way to get to it. The bumper cover would be on top of it! I can see the back with a light and a mirror. I could post a pic but can't figure out how to from this iPad. Any ideas?

It is an '06 V6 if that matters.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There is only one screw near the top in the middle.

From memory there are 4 or 5 clips along the bottom and several along the top.

The top ones are easy to see with the bonnet/hood up and just need pressing down and pushing backwards away from the front of the car.

The bottom ones are hidden.

Each clip has two "barbs", one on either side. By inserting the forefinger of each hand through the bottom opening in the grille [note the e on the end - you cook on a grill!] with each finger on the outside edge of the clip you then push the two barbs together with the side of those fingers while pushing the barbs backwards towards the front of the car.

Do this with all the clips and the grille comes away.

To access the headlight "bucket" you will need to remove the front bumper. There about two dozen clips and a handful of screws. It's a two man job otherwise you'll scratch the paintwork.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. That helps alot. Ill get back out and try removing the grille now. I have the diagram for the screws and bolts for the bumber so that should be easy.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
This picture shows the clips on the top of the grille:

I'll see if I can find something for the bottom.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
This is nothing to do with the grille really but it is the closest picture I can find to show you what I mean by the "barbs". When the belt fastener is closed up the piece on the right releases by squeezing the two outside barbs inwards.

Before you start, put your fingers through the bottom opening in the grille slats and have a good feel around. I think you will work out what I'm referring too and why you need both hands - there's no bloody room for one hand to do it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have taken mine off 100 times. The knock off version has two torx screws on top of the radiator mounting plate and something similar to the clip tangs by Nooby. It comes right off but be careful with the tang inserts so they don't break.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts