Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just purchased from eBay a (what I think is a RNS510) touch screen Sat/Nav unit thinking I could just fit it in my 2007 Touareg and off you go.

I wanted this to replace the non-touch screen version in my UK V10 Touageg 56 plate 2007, has sat/nav unit, 6 disk changer, AUX connection in centre arm rest, Bluetooth (but I don’t use that, has a parrot fitted as I think the factory unit gives you about 10 seconds to pair up before disappearing, difficult to get anything to connect in time)
Also have the roof DVD player.

I have fitted a Phatnoise digital player in place of the 6 disk changer connection (works well)

Details of the 2nd hand touch screen unit I picked up

Removed form 2008 Touareg.
Part number 7l6 035 680
Siemans VDO
HW H74
SW 0522
built 19 july 2007

So there are loads of posts on the internet regarding needing a CAM BUS adaptor and there appears to be about 3 available from approx. £150 to £200 pounds or euros if able to get from Germany.

These are supposed to give steering wheel control (most say volume only?) and that seems to be about it.

Some posts say it also deals with battery leak, turning off the radio, back light illumination as well.

However you can’t get the display for the central dashboard unit to show Sat Nav directions (not a big deal for me if thats the case)

So my question is, has anyone fitted a RNS510 into t V10 2007 Touageg, did it need the VW MFD3 RNS-510 CAN BUS Interface CAN 1.6->CAN 2.0. if so which one and who from the UK is best to supply it / purchase from.

without the CAM BUS cable Are there any wiring / pin assignments that need changing when fitting?

or with the CAM BUS cable Are there any wiring / pin assignments that need changing when fitting?
Is there any coding required on VAG COM? If so that’s a bit more difficult

There is talk also about two types of speaker systems in Touaregs relating to amplification and speakers, How do I tell what my current system is (seems to affect the cable required).

If the RNS510 needs code upgrade, how do I get hold of that and download

I also read on one cable supplier site about disconnecting the battery to connect up (which is also something not recommended as can cause other issues and lock out) I’m assuming that’s just playing save and ot really required?

Any clarification or help would be greatly received before I try to take out the old unit and put I the new and mess it all up.

I have found a company that will fit it and supply the cable for £250, but not local to me so would need a day off to go to them in Yourshire from Hertfordshire which makes it more expensive losing a day pay.

Also I’m reluctant to pay £250 to just un-plug and plug in if that’s all that’s required. espicaly if I can find the cable required for a good price, I can do that. However if other work is required it would be worth it

Thanks in advanced for any ideas.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Is your Touareg a facelift (7L6) platform? If so its already on canbus 2.0 so you don't need anything...there were non touchscreen nav's supplied in the early 7L6s that ran on canbus 2.0

North America 2007s were pre facelift 7L0 that year so perhaps this is why you're getting confused reading the posts. 7L0s are canbus 1.6..

On the remove/replace, spend $15 bucks and buy the radio removal tools, its soooo easy it shouldn't take you more that 5 minutes to swap out head units. If you can buy a blueray player at the store and hook it up to your TV then you have the skills to hook up your headunit.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Look at the headlights, do the have a swoopy dip at the bottom of them or do they go straight accross? facelift ones have the swoopy headlights and a chrome front bumper/grille.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, i don't think it is then, has straight lights from what i can remember.

It is a Altitude so has chrome grill. Assuming the new lights would be the give away, and as it was a dealer demo model according to the log book it would have had the up to date kit i'm guessing so must be V1.6 ;-(

Guess it can't hurt to give it a go anyway and plug it in and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
For the 5 minutes it'll take you to plug it in it certainly can't hurt....

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you do need the CAN 1.6 to 2.0 adapter, go for the canshack.de version. Brilliant piece of kit, displays everything as it should be and all the steering wheel buttons work as intended.

I just swapped my old Kufatec unit for the canshack one, by comparison the Kufatec unit is a piece of junk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you do need the CAN 1.6 to 2.0 adapter, go for the canshack.de version. Brilliant piece of kit, displays everything as it should be and all the steering wheel buttons work as intended.

I just swapped my old Kufatec unit for the canshack one, by comparison the Kufatec unit is a piece of junk.
hi CNC-Meister, i purchased the canahack cable, but mine doesn't seem to work fully, display is fine but steering wheel buttons dont work. did you have any issues or do anyhitng aprat from connect up the cable. I'm still waiting for the canshack to get back to me 3 days later about swapping it for a new one. the first time i fitted it all seemed fine and the next day the key less start failed and errors for running gear came up. i removed the cable and it all worked again fine. fitted the cable again and seems ok apart form steering wheel buttons and if the radio isn't on it has this countdown display sowing in the dash above the time as if its loading all the time.
i have fully removed if for now as not sure i have a good cable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts