Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and I hope everyone is doing good today!
I need help please. I need to find a way to remove my front seat.
I started out trying to replace my dead battery. So, I read how to replace it, and watched couple videos first. Got the proper tools sorted out after reading what to do to replace the battery.
I removed the first bolt near the door relatively easily. Before I go on I must mention I got this vehicle recently from a PO that let this wonderful car go to waste. Took me about 30 min to just clean the drivers side out enough to work in there under the seat. Life has been hectic since I acquired this old girl. Okay, on to the next bit. The second bolt I discovered was covered in gunk like a lot of gunk. So the bolt is completely rusted to the seat frame and the inside of the bolt is beyond stripped out. The inside of the bolt has had like syrupy soda and who knows what else just sitting in the center of the bolt. So needless to say that bolt isn’t coming out before I get this battery replaced… at least I’m hoping.
I’ve searched here trying to find a guide or instructions to remove the seat. All I’m finding is the normal way to change the battery out. I believe since this is 99% of the time what people are looking for my request is buried beneath this. I’m hoping someone can assist me with a link or something to remove the front seat without having to remove the two typical bolts for battery servicing.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The bolt needs to come out and be replaced. First get some rust removal spray. There are many brands, master blaster for 1. Spray the bolt and let it set for awhile. You may be able to get some visegrips on it and get it that way, it’s worth a try. Otherwise you’re going to have to get a large easy out bolt remover tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
For clarity you do not normally remove the seat in a Generation 1 car (T1 and T2) to acess the battery.

The seat hinges back.

So you should only be trying to remove the two 12 point bolts in the floor just in front of the seat which are hidden under two small plastic plates on the floor.

Are these the bolts you are attempting to remove?

They are known to be extremely hard to start turning as they have liberal loctite applied at the factory and if someone has not used the correct 12 point key (and hammered it in lightly to ensure the best possible engagement) the points in the bolt head strip.

If so then as I read your post you appear to have got the first one out but not the one near the centre of the car?

If you are stuck you can undo the the 4 bolts that secure the seat itself - two at the front and two at the back.

You will have to undo any electrical connections if you gave power or heated seats that includes the big yellow airbag connection.

When you reassemble everything and reconnect the yellow plug it is highly likely that you will get the yellow airbag warning light coming on.

You will need a code reader, preferably VCDS, to reset the light.

Whilst the light is on some of the airbag system may not work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For clarity you do not normally remove the seat in a Generation 1 car (T1 and T2) to acess the battery.

The seat hinges back.

So you should only be trying to remove the two 12 point bolts in the floor just in front of the seat which are hidden under two small plastic plates on the floor.

Are these the bolts you are attempting to remove?

They are known to be extremely hard to start turning as they have liberal loctite applied at the factory and if someone has not used the correct 12 point key (and hammered it in lightly to ensure the best possible engagement) the points in the bolt head strip.

If so then as I read your post you appear to have got the first one out but not the one near the centre of the car?

If you are stuck you can undo the the 4 bolts that secure the seat itself - two at the front and two at the back.

You will have to undo any electrical connections if you gave power or heated seats that includes the big yellow airbag connection.

When you reassemble everything and reconnect the yellow plug it is highly likely that you will get the yellow airbag warning light coming on.

You will need a code reader, preferably VCDS, to reset the light.

Whilst the light is on some of the airbag system may not work.
Thank you so much!!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
There is a video where the guy incorrectly removes the seat but in your case it might be the answer! I'll try to find it and post shortly.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I've spent the last 20 minutes looking for the video but no joy. Perhaps because he did it wrong he took it down!

It will be better if you can extract the damaged bolt.

If you do then replace BOTH of the floor bolts.

Not many people realise they are intended to be single use items!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've spent the last 20 minutes looking for the video but no joy. Perhaps because he did it wrong he took it down!

It will be better if you can extract the damaged bolt.

If you do then replace BOTH of the floor bolts.

Not many people realise they are intended to be single use items!
Thank you so much for trying to find the video for me. And within maybe 5 minutes of reading about the battery and seat removal I see that the bolts need to be replaced. I have no idea which is older in my car now? The battery or the bolts in the floor holding it in place hahahaha. Seriously though it drives me crazy when people get ahold of these nice cars and ruin them by either not knowing what they are doing and attempt to repair them? Or sadly buying a car that they can’t afford the maintenance on? Either way it’s a lose lose for the cars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've found both triple square bolts stripped beyond service.
I had to use an ez-out to extract bolts after applying some grinder action to the sides to allow the extractor a better bite.
THen I found grade 10 hex bolts of the same size and thread pitch and secure the seat after I was done tinkering with electrical under it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
As TommiT said give the bolt a good spray with penetrating fluid first and give it plenty of time to soak in.
If you can't turn the bolt with the proper tool and vice grips don't work hit the head of the bolt vertically several times the break the grip on the threads.

You can cut a slot in the head with a hack saw or cold chisel and turn the bolt with a flat blade screwdriver.
Or you can drift the bolt around with a cold chisel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've found both triple square bolts stripped beyond service.
I had to use an ez-out to extract bolts after applying some grinder action to the sides to allow the extractor a better bite.
THen I found grade 10 hex bolts of the same size and thread pitch and secure the seat after I was done tinkering with electrical under it.
Oh my goodness, I see you were much luckier than myself. I’m sorry but I’m glad to know other have gone through this as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As TommiT said give the bolt a good spray with penetrating fluid first and give it plenty of time to soak in.
If you can't turn the bolt with the proper tool and vice grips don't work hit the head of the bolt vertically several times the break the grip on the threads.

You can cut a slot in the head with a hack saw or cold chisel and turn the bolt with a flat blade screwdriver.
Or you can drift the bolt around with a cold chisel.
Thank you!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Use a Dremel top cut a slot on the bolt head.
Use an impact driver (The kind you hit with a hammer) to break the bolt loose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for the advice. I’m still waiting on my PB Blaster to get here so I can begin working this ridiculous bolt free. It’s also beyond hot outside here, so I want to make sure the time I spend in the sun is productive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
[email protected] FYI.. the BEST loosening fluid to use is one you make yourself.. using 50% Acetone and 50% Synthetic ATF... Mix this in small batches in a spray bottle because the Acetone will evaporate in about a week.. the NEXT best loosening fluid is PB Blaster... I've had good luck with both. I have also have found that soaking stuck bolts, nuts, etc. overnight with repeated applications works wlll.. Also consider the advise to use a impact driver.. they multiply your working force and can work wonders on stuck threaded items.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts