Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently made my username redundant by purchasing an almost new R-Line which is ofcourse a 7P. It is fitted with 21" rims, which is fine for highway or town work on asphalt but I am soon to depart for points west where the asphalt is not so common. I wish to buy some used 18" rims and fit a set of Dueler D697 LTs which offer robust sidewalls and good allround grip on marginal surfaces, as well as asphalt. I have experienced excellent service with these Duelers on my 2009 V6 TDI 4-Motion and highly recommend them to anyone.
My problem is that the 17" rims fitted to my old 7L will not fit around the massive brakepad assembly on the 7P R-Line. Can anyone advise me if 18" rims from a 7P will be compatible with the R-Line? Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Touareg7L

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
They fit on the 7l R50 and it has slightly bigger brakes than the R line. John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to nikoloz and schootsie.
I have located a set of 18" rims off a 2014 Cayenne, which I am informed will fit the Touareg. Is that correct?
cheers,
touareg7L

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the offer Crafty-Bugger but we will keep the 21" OEM wheels for when we are not touring in the outback. Nice try tho'.
Cheers,
Touareg7L

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
In general terms, yes as the Touareg, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne all have the same bolt up measurement(PCD etc) and are suitably load rated but if you can, do a test fit as the well in the rim that is there to help mount the tire can be in different places which can stuff up the brake calliper clearance. I tried a number of after market rims in 18" that would clear the brakes. Also check what rim width and offset the 18s are as that can have a bearing on the clearance to the top ball joint.

Thanks to nikoloz and schootsie.
I have located a set of 18" rims off a 2014 Cayenne, which I am informed will fit the Touareg. Is that correct?
cheers,
touareg7L

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Schootsie. I will do a test-fit on the front wheel before accepting the rims. Here's hoping. A 500km round trip for nothing if they are a misfit.
Cheers,
Touareg7L

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I have recently made my username redundant by purchasing an almost new R-Line which is ofcourse a 7P. It is fitted with 21" rims, which is fine for highway or town work on asphalt but I am soon to depart for points west where the asphalt is not so common. I wish to buy some used 18" rims and fit a set of Dueler D697 LTs which offer robust sidewalls and good allround grip on marginal surfaces, as well as asphalt. I have experienced excellent service with these Duelers on my 2009 V6 TDI 4-Motion and highly recommend them to anyone.
My problem is that the 17" rims fitted to my old 7L will not fit around the massive brakepad assembly on the 7P R-Line. Can anyone advise me if 18" rims from a 7P will be compatible with the R-Line? Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Touareg7L
Are you absolutely certain your 17s don't fit?

Misplaced balance weights might catch but otherwise I have always understood 17s will fit all Touaregs except the V10.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Are you absolutely certain your 17s don't fit?

Misplaced balance weights might catch but otherwise I have always understood 17s will fit all Touaregs except the V10.
OEMs yes, it's possible that an aftermarket 17 would have a different offset or spoke configuration. OP didn't specify whether the 17s were OEM or aftermarket...

·
Registered
3 Posts
How did you go?

I'm in exactly the same position and after a recent expedition on the sand need to adapt to a set that allows for some ATR's.

I see that the Porsche 18"s are fairly reasonable as a replacement set.

As the V8 has some surprising smile moments attached to it, I tring to get some wheels that adapt to my driving style not me adapting to the wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Noobytoogy. In response to your question as to whether the 7L OEM 17" rims fit or not, I jacked up the 7P 2013 Treg again and removed the 21" rim. I then wrestled every which way to try to get the 17" to fit but it fouled - mainly on the backing plate. And more than by just a little. So in my case, that myth is BUSTED. I did however try on my newly-acquired 18" 2014 Cayenne OEM rims and the fit was good. I am confident they will do the job. The dynamics of a 10,00km journey hauling a 3 ton caravan to W.A. will prove me right or wrong.
Thanks to all those members who responded to my note.
cheers
Touareg7L

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Just a thought, but I gather you bought the 7P used? Since many of us with the same vehicle series are successfully using VW OEM 17" rims, perhaps the PO modified the brake calipers...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi roalco. Yes, I bought the 7P used and I too heard that the 7L 17" rims from my 09 Treg would fit. That proved not to be the case. My guess is that the R-Line front wheel brake assembly is larger than the standard 7P V6 TDI. The V8 TDI in the R-Line may take more stopping. It's just a guess. I do not have a 7P V6 TDI to compare it with - only my old 7L and it looks much bigger than that. cheers,
touareg7L

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Thanks Noobytoogy. In response to your question as to whether the 7L OEM 17" rims fit or not, I jacked up the 7P 2013 Treg again and removed the 21" rim. I then wrestled every which way to try to get the 17" to fit but it fouled - mainly on the backing plate. And more than by just a little. So in my case, that myth is BUSTED. I did however try on my newly-acquired 18" 2014 Cayenne OEM rims and the fit was good. I am confident they will do the job. The dynamics of a 10,00km journey hauling a 3 ton caravan to W.A. will prove me right or wrong.
Thanks to all those members who responded to my note.
cheers
Touareg7L

Hi roalco. Yes, I bought the 7P used and I too heard that the 7L 17" rims from my 09 Treg would fit. That proved not to be the case. My guess is that the R-Line front wheel brake assembly is larger than the standard 7P V6 TDI. The V8 TDI in the R-Line may take more stopping. It's just a guess. I do not have a 7P V6 TDI to compare it with - only my old 7L and it looks much bigger than that. cheers,
touareg7L
I was going to write earlier that you had missed out a very important piece of information in your previous posts since, possibly like others looking at the box on the side of your posts, I had assumed you had gone from the listed 2009 3.0 Tdi to a 2013 3.0 Tdi but then I had to go out before adding my tuppence!

In the intervening period I see you have now amended your Touareg model to V8 Tdi.

And, as you now know, 17 inch wheels don't fit the V8 Tdi due to the larger brake calipers!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Well, it would have helped if you had been a bit specific initially on your very uncommon model, and avoided a lot of wasted time and effort.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well roalco, if you had read my original post I said I had just purchased a near-new Touareg R-Line, which only comes with a V8 TDI. You may be forgiven if the R-Line is not so equipped in North America, or Canada in particular.
Anyway, thanks for your input.
Cheers,
Touareg7L

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
For North America, and AFAIK the UK and Europe, R-line is just a cosmetic trim level option package, with a few practical options, which used to be called the sport package (larger 20" rims, stiffer suspension). Now thanks to you, we are led to believe that Oz only offers it with the uncommon tdi V8.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The R-line only comes with the 3.0 Tdi in the UK - and the flash kit!

But it takes 17 inch wheels!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi mickeyt, denod1958 and others who have shown interest. I have now obtained and fitted four 18" 2014 Porsche Cayenne alloy rims ($450 via Gumtree), with Maxxis 255/60 A/T 771s on the road. My first choice of tyres were Dueler D697s but were close to fouling the inner surface of the mudguard on the front wheels. The Maxxis tyre pattern is not unlike that of the Bridgestone so I will be interested to make a performance comparison. We depart in about 2 weeks so I will give some feedback when we return in late April.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts