Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Having successfully released excess air from my rear right strut which was permanently stuck at full height, I would like to calibrate the suspension level as the car is not sitting level and it seems to be confused as to what height it is sitting at as it does not move correctly when I adjust the level.

I have read this instructional document from Ross-Tech which is incredibly useful: Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Suspension Level Control Calibration ( I don't have permission to post a link!)

However I have one question, right at the bottom it says
'If all measured values are correct, enter "new value" of 1.
[Test]
[Save]'

Does this mean that the measured values should read the same as the ACTUAL measured values which I will have just inputted? Or does it mean that the values should have adjusted themselves to the correct standard height values for the Touareg (497mm front and 502mm rear)?

Many thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Bump for you.

Hopefully one of the more technical guys will respond soon.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
730 Posts
All four corners need to be adjusted properly, when each corner passes the initialization process (I.P.) you then follow the instructions you posted.

Just releasing pressure does not complete the (I.P.). You need to be sure that you can fill and lower each corner then set to proper level before attempting to complete the (I.P.).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All four corners need to be adjusted properly, when each corner passes the initialization process (I.P.) you then follow the instructions you posted.

Just releasing pressure does not complete the (I.P.). You need to be sure that you can fill and lower each corner then set to proper level before attempting to complete the (I.P.).

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure I follow exactly though.

I was under the impression that by measuring the height of each corner and then inputting the data into VCDS in the calibration section, the VCDS software would then automatically adjust the car to the correct height using the measurements I will have given it?

If that is not the case then should I raise each corner to the specified height (497mm front and 502mm rear) first and then go through the calibration process in VCDS?

I manually released some air from the rear right strut as it was stuck at full height and from reading on here it is necessary to manually release some pressure before then re-calibrating the height of the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just found a very useful video on youtube from Ross-tech which I think answers my questions. I will try the procedure now on my car and see what happens!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
And post the video link etc too.

Just add some posts with a few words in each to get to the right number to post links. We'll understand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I can post links now...

This is the video I was meaning:

I went out to my car and tried following those steps but I encountered an error. I got as far as 1m 14s in the video, it said 'wait' in the first field as it should and the front suspension dropped but then it said 'ERROR - NOT - AVAILABLE' in red writing in the fields where it previously said 'WAIT - N/A - N/A - N/A'.

Before I tried the above, I went into basic settings and managed to vent pressure from both axles and the tank (I could see the car lowering), I think filled both axles and the tank with pressure (I could see the car raising) - so I am confident that the system is able to fill and release air.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EDITED to correct typo

Before I tried the above, I went into basic settings and managed to vent pressure from both axles and the tank (I could see the car lowering), I then filled both axles and the tank with pressure (I could see the car raising) - so I am confident that the system is able to fill and release air.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
You are just telling the computer what the ACTUAL value is (402, versus a reported value of 400, for example) so the computer can "re-learn" the new value.

Yes, you should enter "1" at the end as shown in the video, regardless of how far off your actual #'s may or may not have been to the computer's #'s.

Try your calibration again. It may have just crashed, unrelated to anything else. Also, I think your doors MUST BE CLOSED when doing this. Otherwise, the vehicle will not lower during the calibration. It's to prevent the doors from crashing into things.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
730 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad strut or residual pressure valve… the program will walk you through five steps, if the system is mechanically working properly it will complete the adaptation

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I made sure to have the doors closed and the front of the car lowered itself while I was trying to to the calibration, but once it had lowered itself that is when the error occurred. I can raise the front no problem in basic settings so I don't think there is a problem with it raising. I will try it again as you suggest in the hope it was just a malfunction.

Blownvette - is there a way that I can test the struts and residual valves in VCDS? (other then what I have already done in basic settings?) In basic settings I can only see how to test the front and rear axle, not each strut individually.

My car does lower on the front axle when left over night, but I am not sure if that is because it is so confused as to what height it is sitting at or not?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try putting it in jack mode over night and see if it still lowers. Jack mode disables the ride height adjustment, so it should NOT change position in jack mode. If it still lowers, then you have a leak somewhere.

Sorry for the silly question, but how do I enable jack mode? is it the 'Lock' button on the centre console next to the 'Comfort/Auto/Sport' button?

If so, my 'Lock' button only seems to work intermittently (presumably as it won't lock if it thinks it's not level?)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A small update - I tried again but had the same error come up, here is a picture of the error:
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=210281&thumb=1

I went into basic settings again and let all the air out of the front and rear axles. I could see the car lower down both front and rear and to the naked eye the car looked level on all 4 corners, although it was right down low on the suspension. Whilst in this position I was getting the following readout from the level sensors which I think points towards a fault with the Front Left level sensor? (the car was roughly level at the time of this sensor reading)

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=210289&thumb=1

If you think it is a sensor problem on the front left, how do I go about fixing it, are the sensors easy to see under the wheel arch?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Left and right level sensors on the front axle are really off from each other. Were the left and right sides at noticeably different heights?

The rear axle's left and right sides are also off, but not as much.
Not really no, maybe out by a couple of CM from front to left but that's about it. I'm going to try and investigate the sensor tomorrow and see if I can find it.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
A "couple of cm" could be 20-40mm. But the computer seemed to think the front axle left and right sides were off by over 100 mm.

Hold the lock button (with ignition on) until the MFD tells you you're in jack mode. Don't MOVE the vehicle and it will stay there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A "couple of cm" could be 20-40mm. But the computer seemed to think the front axle left and right sides were off by over 100 mm.

Hold the lock button (with ignition on) until the MFD tells you you're in jack mode. Don't MOVE the vehicle and it will stay there.
Also, make sure the ride mode is set to "normal" too when you press and hold the jack mode button.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts