Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 Execline TDI has an irritating random short buzzing sound (sounds like saying "BZIT") that comes from the rear of the center console (near the 110 outlet). It occurs randomly, but not infrequently. Typically about 10-15 minute into any drive it will buzz two to four times in quick succession, and then again randomly (at anywhere from 5 to 30 minute intervals) with anything from a single to a multiple "BZIT". It is quite audible when the radio is not on. I accidentally discovered that the sound can be triggered by leaving the vehicle parked but running and moving the key outside of, and away from the car (via a second person).

The dealer investigated and declared on the invoice: "NOISE COMING FROM KEYLESS ANTENNA IN CENTER CONSOLE. REPLACE ANTENNA, NOISE NOW GONE"

Only they verbally told me they just wrapped the antenna in a sound deadening foam and it was "much better". When I said I didn't think the sound was normal, they told me it was, and that all the "Keyless one-button start" models make that sound and that the car needs to confirm they key is always in range—which makes some sense, but doesn't explain the noise. Since my previous Touareg didn't have they keyless start, I can't say if it is "normal".

I suspect I'm being given a typical BS explanation, but before I push it, can anyone else tell me if they have experienced this noise as well? Supposedly ALL of you (except anyone who is very hard of hearing) with keyless start will have heard this sound while driving, although I doubt many have had someone take the key away while the car is parked but running.

Any help and suggestions gratefully appreciated!

Mark

·
Registered
93 Posts
Got the keyless start, never heard a noise like the one you describe. and I have taken the key out off the car while it is running, it doesn't have any affect at all, car stays running as normal. Sounds like a BS line from dealer for sure!! one would have to presume they have no idea...

I can only suggest, you maybe pull the console out and get a second person to try and pinpoint the source off the noise while you drive the car, then work from there. does your car have the power outlet in the console next to the gear select? maybe something is intermittently shorting there, like a coin or something metallic in the socket

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Is it the noise from the steering column lock/unlock solenoid? You should never hear that any time except when starting or stopping the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The noise is definitely not at the column, but at the rear of the center console. It is unrelated to locking or starting, but does seem to be related to the presence of the key, or perhaps the vehicle's routine/random "check" to see if a key is present. Because removing the key from the cabin while the car is running triggers the sound, I think it is related to that system.

Since the vehicle is essentially new (4-months), and this noise has been there since day one, I am rather reluctant to start ripping it apart myself and risk damaging anything. I really just want to know if any others with the same keyless feature have the same noise. I have driven two dealer demos before I bought this car and neither made any similar noises.

Overall I am not impressed with the build quality of this Touareg. My 2011 was rock-solid and rattle-free after 4 years and 50+K miles. This one has rattly rear seats, sunroof and a passenger-door speaker. If my 2011 hadn't been totaled I'd still be driving it for many years to come.

Thanks for the replies.

Mark

·
Registered
2014 VR6 Exec
344 Posts
My 2015 Execline TDI has an irritating random short buzzing sound (sounds like saying "BZIT") that comes from the rear of the center console (near the 110 outlet). It occurs randomly, but not infrequently. Typically about 10-15 minute into any drive it will buzz two to four times in quick succession, and then again randomly (at anywhere from 5 to 30 minute intervals) with anything from a single to a multiple "BZIT". It is quite audible when the radio is not on. I accidentally discovered that the sound can be triggered by leaving the vehicle parked but running and moving the key outside of, and away from the car (via a second person).

The dealer investigated and declared on the invoice: "NOISE COMING FROM KEYLESS ANTENNA IN CENTER CONSOLE. REPLACE ANTENNA, NOISE NOW GONE"

Only they verbally told me they just wrapped the antenna in a sound deadening foam and it was "much better". When I said I didn't think the sound was normal, they told me it was, and that all the "Keyless one-button start" models make that sound and that the car needs to confirm they key is always in range—which makes some sense, but doesn't explain the noise. Since my previous Touareg didn't have they keyless start, I can't say if it is "normal".

I suspect I'm being given a typical BS explanation, but before I push it, can anyone else tell me if they have experienced this noise as well? Supposedly ALL of you (except anyone who is very hard of hearing) with keyless start will have heard this sound while driving, although I doubt many have had someone take the key away while the car is parked but running.

Any help and suggestions gratefully appreciated!

Mark
I have the same thing. It's the keyless system pinging the fob. If you stay in the car when someone walks away with the fob, you'll hear the buzz and then get the warning about no key in range (or whatever it says exactly...i can't remember). Both my 2013 Exec (RIP) and my current 2014 do this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that response gryhnd. Can you tell me if your car randomly buzzes as you are driving as well? The sound is the same. In my car it's not loud enough to be a warning buzz, but loud enough to be distracting. I understand a "missing key" warning (although this sound is not loud enough to be useful as it is in my other cars) and it seems bizarre to me that this occurs when driving.

·
Registered
2014 VR6 Exec
344 Posts
Yes, I hear it every so often if the car is particularly quiet. I've gotten used to it though and it doesn't really enter my consciousness very often anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.