Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took the Treg to an indy to have the transmission fluid changed (I'm at 130k miles). When he was done he gave me back 2 of the fluid containers from the flush kit.

I was concerned that he didnt put enough in so today I raised the air suspension to the max and went under to check the level. The tray was warm but not hot. When I removed the fill plug from the bottom, about a quart of fluid dumped out onto the ground.

I have no idea why this happened, the truck was level. Was I supposed to do this with the engine cold? How do I know if I have enough fluid in there to start the truck again

Thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
Was the engine running and in Park? Fluid level at operating temperature should just weep or be level with the fill hole.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You need to get that quart back in. The ATF level in the pan goes up when you turn off the car as the fluid drain back or down into the pan. With the car in park as imquatro said, you plug the hole while the engine is running, then you turn the engine off. A drain and fill required between 5-6 quarts on my car.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The proper way to check the level is with VAG-COM as it's needs to be at a certain temperature (35c, I think). The fluid expands as it gets hot, so it will spill out if it's over that temp or over-filled (not your problem, it seems).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I think the car had sat for about 1 hour before I opened it so the temp was warm but not hot.

If I understand the instructions, I should close the hole, start the truck and let it run for a while until it's warm, then try to pump the fluid in?

·
Registered
392 Posts
That is correct. I drained my ATF over the weekend so the procedure is still fresh in my memory. The key here is to listen and know when the valve opens when it reaches the opening temperature. From that point on the fluid level in the pan will drop and you can start adding the ATF.

The valve opening has a distinct sound that is hard to miss. I would wait a few minutes for the level to drop then pull the plug.

Just for the record, I got 3 qrts in with the engine off and 2 more with the engine idling and in park position.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Or you could just take it back to the guy who did the ATF change, tell him you didn't trust him to put the right amount back in and, in checking his handiwork, you screwed up so would he mind filling it up for you once more!:twisted:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like that idea, but I am concerned there is not enough in there to drive it back to his shop. Don;t want to risk damaging the trans

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally finished the project this morning. What a PITA! That fluid makes quite a mess :)

I did find a trick to get the hose into the transmission fill hole. I folded the hose back on itself and pushed the doubledup hose into the fill hole, when it slides in far enough the hose unfolds and allows you to pump the fluid in without it running back out along the hose

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Well done.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Smart move not to drive to the shop! Well done!

I added a short 90 degree elbow to the top of the hose that goes into the fill hole so I get the fluid to pump horizontally.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts