Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning guys, this is my first post so I want to introduce myself real quick before I post my question. My first VW was a 1984 Scirocco which I bought in 1998 (still back in Germany where I am from) since then I have owend almost the whole time a VW. I bought a 2005 V8 for my wife just over a year. It is Campanella White and Teak color. I installed 20” wheels to finish the exterior look. The car is amazing but I had a few issues with it (break assist failure, intake manifold pump failure, trailer hitch and some minor interior cosmetic issues). Never the less, I love the car! It is just such a solid and powerful ride.
I got all of the issues taken care of smoothly and reasonably cheap thanks to posts and DIY in this forum. So, thank you guys!

Now, to my question:
I have the navigation system and the color MFD (LCD screen) in the middle of the instrument cluster.
The LCD screen is getting dimmer every day and is now almost dark. I searched a lot trying to find the best solution. But the only real solution I found was to replace the whole cluster and get it reprogrammed by VW.

I started looking into replacing only the screen (disassemble the cluster) and found a few online sites that sell these. Below is one example.
http://www.mte.net/content/display-lcd-colori-vw-touareg-e-porsche-cayenne

I removed the cluster and opened it up till I had the circuit board in the back and gauge indicators in front exposed. To get the circuit board off and expose the actual screen, I need to remove the gauge indicators. And that is what I can’t figure out. I don’t want to pull on it and break it.

Does anyone of you know how to remove the indicators?

Or possible has an even better solution or comments about my attempt?

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did a little more research and found that the instrument cluster “illumination transformer” can go bad which causes the LCD to go dark. The part costs about $40 from China or 60€ from Italy (Bosch original). Has anyone replaced that part in an attempt to fix a bad lid LCD screen?

Part number is 8 948 411 102 R2

Any help or comment is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good morning guys. Lets bring this lonely thread to an end. I bought the electrical component (voltage converter) from China for $36 including shipping. The part looked like it had been salvaged out of a circuit board.

Anyway, I replaced the voltage converter (simple soldering) and put everything back together. The LCD screen is now illuminated like new again and may even look a little fresher.

No reprogramming or any additional work is needed.

As far as the indicator removal goes. I put soft scotch tape on two flathead screwdrivers to protect the cluster surface, placed them 180º from each other under the indicator and rotated the screwdriver clockwise around its own axle to carefully pry them off.

To sum it all up, the options I had:
- Take the car to VW for repair, estimated cost: $1000
- Send the cluster out for repair, $500
- Buy used cluster and get program to my car by VW, estimated cost: $500
- Replace LCD screen voltage converter, $36

Thanks for checking out my thread.
Maybe this can be helpful for someone having the same problem I had.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Great find! I've moved it to the DIY forum as a number of members have paid well over $2000 for this $50 fix.

Where did you get the electrical chip from?

·
Registered
41 Posts
DARK MFD

I had the same problem. Ordered the part from EBAY. Took 2 weeks to arrive. Had Deluxe Speedometer in Denver repair it. Charged $211. About $1,000 cheaper than VW dealer repair. So for less than $250 all works well now. Their number is 303 629-6958 talk to John.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great post, Was wondering, do you need to replace both transformers or just the one. You had two circled in one pic, but just an arrow on the other pic

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi woody77.

I just replaced the one pointed out with the arrow. This is the voltage converter for the screen. The other one I believe is for the illumination of gauges.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Awesome thread.

Definitively a companion to the replace-the-dead-speaker for $8 instead of replace the cluster for $1000 thread.

Big kudos to jettavwjetta.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How did you replace the transformer? Is it a click of thing or do you have to weld it? Not sure what the actual word is for it but welding was the nearest i could think of... Weld it to the cercuit board? Have ordered the transformer from ebay :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Solder is the word you were looking for I think!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes they have to be soldered on the board.

I upload here 2 photos of a crude attempt of soldering the unit on the board, by an anonymous technician.
Didn't have the result he wanted, (making the LCD to display the indications) as most likely the LCD itself is the problem and not the Illumination of the LCD.

A quick but most of the time reliable method of checking whether the LCD is the problem or the illumination of the LCD, is to aim a high luminosity source of light (a strong flash light) directed to the LCD display in question while the instrument cluster is "ON" and in a state that it should have some indications on it, and by changing the angle the light hits the LCD, carefully notice if there is any fainted images that you can see.

Even better if the light source is aimed to the LCD from behind, most of the cases this is not possible though.
That way if you can spot any images, then the LCD is working, and you need the illumination only.

Actually thats the way the LCD/TFT displays work.
The LCD only blocks or allows the light to pass through it, by switching ON/OFF its dots, and by that you see the light the LCD permits to pass. If there is no light source then you dont see anything, although the LCD is working alright.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cluster Disassembly

This is a great post and exactly what I was looking for. I called the dealer to get a quote and they quoted me ~$1300, so $34 sounds much better :D. I was going to look for a remanufactured instrument cluster, but since mine appears to be having the same problem, I'm going to try this out. I've already ordered the part and was just wondering how big of a pain it was to get the instrument cluster out. I haven't taken the dash apart on this before, so any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
MFD Replacement update

Just to update this post, I performed the replacement of the transformer today after I received the one I bought off ebay. Taking out the cluster was rather simple and quick. I had a little bit of an issue removing the needles, but eventually got them off.
After I located the transformer, I spent a lot of time de-soldering the connections and removing the older solder, but once I finally got it off, I put the new transformer on, reassembled everything, and put it back. Unfortunately, I wasn't as lucky as others were. The display still didn't work once I reinstalled it, so I removed it again and took everything back apart. Upon further investigation, I found that there is a bad capacitor (the top is mushrooming out) and one of the chips on the board is bubbled on the top. I have included a picture showing the replaced transformed and the circled components were what I originally overlooked.
The capacitor would be easy to replace, but I'm not sure what the chip is, so it looks like I will be looking for a re-manufactured cluster.
Hopefully this will help someone else if they decide to attempt this fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
MFD Fades out in Heat

I have a 2004 V6 (gas). When it is hot inside the vehicle, the MFD (red) screen turns black and all the status messages disappear. On days when it is cooler outside, the MFD is bright and all of the status messages can be read. I was wondering if this is the same issue you were having and replacement of the chip fixed the problem? Thank you!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts