Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've run into an issue with the braking system on my 2006 V10. The front right brake will occasionally seems to stick, basically slowing the vehicle quite a bit, and will start smoking intensely. It seems to be random and not easy to reproduce (has done it 2-3 times). In the last instance the driver rear brake also started smoking.

I have bled the brakes, replaced the parking brake strut, and had the caliper inspected (and it seemed fine). It returned. I have just replaced the front rotors and pads. Still is going on.

The car is now at the dealer, and they seem to want to throw parts at the problem (New Caliper, New Rear Brakes and Pads, Bearings, and ABS Control Module) to the tune of $10k.

Any ideas of what may be a more cost effective approach? Anyone have experience with this issue?

Thx!

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
848 Posts
Just a guess, by any chance do you have different tread depth tires on the car? it may be something to slow the wheel to compensate for a diameter difference in the tires if not it could be a false reading from the wheel speed sensor. Just guesses on things to check....

·
Administrator
4,300 Posts
Been thru a bit of this recently after having badly contaminated brake fluid. Right front was applying light pressure even after bleeding and was causing blueing of the rotor, but not smoke. Master brake cylinder was bad and subsequently replaced. This resolved the issue. It's worth inspecting it, but I hear it was a pain in the ass the get out. Once it was out, it was obvious the seals had swelled, No other external obvious sign it was bad except for pedal travel issues.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Sticking brakes USUALLY means a sticking caliper. Replacing it costs $$$.

Instead, have you tried disabling the ESP and ABS and seeing if the same thing happens? You'll probably have to pull a fuse to disable ABS. Pulling a fuse is free. But you will have to reset your ABS trouble codes when you put it back in.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
To add to other’s comments:
In my experience (not with Touareg), things like that meant that either a particular caliper piston is sticking in the cylinder or otherwise the main brake cylinder does not distribute pressure equally. The first is usually caused by rusted caliper’s cylinder/piston which is a result of contaminants in the brake fluid or, more often, broken dust boot allowing water in. The second is fluid contamination causing clogs in the distribution system or hydraulic/mechanical failure of the assembly. Most often best cure was bad parts replacement.
I have to admit that I have never witnessed brakes heating to a degree that they were smoking...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The OP has posted just the once and then, seemingly, disappeared. It's hardly worth anyone bothering to contribute further...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts