Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I've been on the forum for several years as a lurker but recently joined the club after I traded my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (lifted with 35s) in for a 2012 Touareg TDI Lux. I live in a beach town and during the summer used to take my JKUR out on the beach with the kids. Any advice for setting up my T3 for the beach? There are plenty of ford explorers and base jeep grand cherokees that go out on the beach so I think I'll be ok with the T3. Any advice would be great.

Best,

ete

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Your new rig will be lower, doesn't have lockers or LO range, but has a decent traction control system which should get you through most stuff. Clearly all season tires won't have the same bite as 35in mudders, so keep that in mind before you get into any questionable stuff. You'll also be sitting on less of a footprint so you'll sink much faster than on a 12in wide tire. If you can throw some more aggressive tires on, you'll be much safer. Keep in mind that you're also driving a bit of a pig, so you are also dragging around more weight than before.

If ExploDers are out there and then manage to get back, you should be good. (once again, providing you have decent tires)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply! The dealership threw on new tires given the other ones were past expiration and dry rotted. They put on Goodyear Eagle LS tires. I'm thinking about finding some porsche replica wheels and a good hybrid all-terrain like the Cooper Zeon LTZs. Any idea how wide of a tire the stock wheels can take?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I wouldn't venture out onto the sand with the LS tires... or at least not without planning to get stuck..... you won't have any bite with those on.... make sure you have a heavier than you recovery vehicle around if you do.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'd take your T3 out. I have a T1 and I frequently drive on the beach. I have stock tires. Just air down and turn traction control off you'll be passing the Jeep guys and gals no issue.

Once I only aired down 5PSI ( By mistake ) and left traction control on ( once again this was by mistake and I wouldn't recommend) It was on super soft sand, it didn't give me any issue. I did turn traction off once I realized I had left it on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts