Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a 2004 VW Touareg. I am looking for some helpful things to look for during my test drive? And some of the known problematic issues with this model? Thanks for all of your help... Here are the specs

-2004 VW Touareg V8 - 310HP
-81,000 miles
-20'' Forgiato Concavo Rims
-AWD/7,800 lbs towing
-Adjustable Air Ride
-New tires/brakes/all maintenance receipts
-Xenon Headlights
-Additional set of Blizzak winter tires/stock rims
-Clean title
-$8,500

Attachments

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Take it to your VW dealer and have them go over it. If it passes buy the warranty for as long as you can. Then relax and enjoy driving it. My 2004 was very reliable, no issues. Some were not that way, but sorted by now. Get some 17 or 18" rims with winter tires. I like the Hankook Dynapro, quiet and long lasting.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Just noticed it has winter shoes, great way to go. I Pheasant hunt in winter, I need more aggressive tires than snows. I run the snows on my Audi Allroad all winter.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Do take the time to carefully read the buying a used Touareg thread - the link is in my signature below.

Check to see if the timing belt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat have been changed - due at 80K/5 years, whichever comes first. You'll need $500 for DIY or $1,500 at the dealer. If the belt lets go, the engine is toast so it's not something to ignore under any circumstances.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your guys help. I ended up buying the Touareg and just had the 80,000 mile maintenance completed on it. Take a look at this bill from my mechanic to see if you think he is being honest and has included everything? I compared his parts price to what I could purchase them online and I could of saved myself over $300.
Keep in mind, these are all OEM parts so its warrantied and my vehicle has been at his shop for almost 3 weeks now (not very happy).

I also do not see a thermostat on his list??

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts