Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All.

I came back from dealer for my issues on pre-owned 2007 Touareg due to the coolant loss and steering wheel column issue.

First of all, for the coolant loss, VW did pressure test on coolant system but no pressure loss was identified. The concentration of coolant was a bit low so VW put a bit more of coolant to match the spec. Maybe the coolant was evaporating due to the low concentration so no problem on this.

Secondly, for the steering wheel column, They stated "Tested all functions 4 motions of movement working correctly".
OK. The reason why I brought my toareg in to service again was the height adjustment of steering wheel column was not fully raised not malfunctioning of movement.

I measured the movement of height and the result was only 3mm (!!) of moving up & down.

VW advised me that they contacted head office and got reply back that it is normal and all OK. DUH!

This issue brings me below:
1. Speedo cannot be seen properly,
2. Indicators cannot be seen properly,
3. MFD (including gear position) cannot be seen properly.

Now, VW advised me any more thing on my issue, I am writing formal complain email to VW Australia after giving them enough time (a week) to figure out but no proper outcome has made.

They advised me they have contacted head office but I have not been told how the issue was described.

I am so disappointed how VW dealer acted on my issue as they just tried to avoid their responsibility.

I believe that there should be some kind of RTA Spec that says the running speed must clearly be seen during driving but I have no idea where to start such as what standards to look at etc.

Can any one please give me any advice on how to submit the complain the VW Australia?
I am writing an email to VW Australia Email address but I need to gather all information such as safety info in speed checking during driving etc.

Thanks for your input!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
What about adjusting your seat position?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regardless of seat position.
I tried both the lowest and highest of seat but they are the same.

The only way I can see the cluster properly is lying down like I am in my recliner chair. :S
Anyways, 3mm movement of steering wheel column is very unacceptable to me as I never had any issue like this with my previous cars from Lexus, Honda, Nissan and Toyota.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,185 Posts
I will measure the 'drop' of mine this evening...and report back to you. I'll also provide height from (cabin) floor level to bottom of steering wheel.

I'm 194cm tall, and have no issues with sighting the areas that are of concern to you. In saying that, I believe there is an issue for you (unless your 200cm+), so my measurements will add weight to your dispute with VW.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Steve.

Is your Treg T2 (2008 V6) as mine?
I can see that info from your profile if I am seeing the right thing.
Also please let me know if yours is electrical or manual.

VW gave a BS that the height adjustment range between electrical and manual is different.

I am only 172cm tall and having this issue due to the too low position of steering wheel.
If it moved 3mm from the highest position of the wheel, I wouldn't really care but I am having trouble seeing the speedo during driving and that is my main concern.

I am just shocked about the 3mm of movement and VW says that is as design.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Jindandy

I have a 2010 and the steering wheel moves about 30mm at the point you measured. Yours looks like it is at the low point, when fully up the gap to the dash is only about 5mm.

If I were you I would keep an eye on the coolant level, particularly as the pressure test did not identify a leak. There is a known issue with the exhaust gas coolant module which can accumulate moisture and cause a catastrophic hydro-lock. Suggest that you do a search & read up on hydro lock & coolant loss

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have a 2007 V6 and I can tell you that your steering wheel is all the way down or close thereto. Up all the way should not allow enough space for much between cluster and wheel trim. Seems something is in the way (wiring or some foreign object) or the adjustment feature is seized up for some reason. In any event your travel is too limited.

The wheel should pull out push in (away / towards dash). Any luck adjusting this? Any luck going further up down out verses in?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Here are some pictures for reference. Sorry no measurements, but the difference is pretty obvious. For reference up 100% has just enough room for a few sheets of paper and down all the way has about what you have. I threw the cover for the 12v socket into one picture for reference. Hope this helps.

In taking these pictures, I accidentally dropped my phone which went straight between the wheel and instrument cluster...very deep place to loose something...appears to have a fold at the back most area...hope something is lodged back there as I could see this as a culprit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Hi Jin,

Agree with Ewie, my range of travel is around the 30mm but need to measure if exact range of movement is required, agree also that your position is at the very bottom range of travel.
There is a reason for this and a fix must be available.

Can you explain where the issue with VW comes into the picture other than the dealer telling you VW agrees the range of movement is normal?

Your 07 cannot be under new car warranty so as far as paying for remedial work VW is eliminated as responsible under a manufacturers warranty.
Is your 07 under a dealer used car warranty as you purchased your vehicle recently from a dealer, again if so I fail to see VW's involvement here.

Unfortunately not knowing the actual circumstances as to why you blame VW as the manufacturer for this problem I cannot see you writing to VW will give you any satisfaction for fixing your problem.

TonyB

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Jin
the most important question right now is how long have you had it and i hope you are going to say less than three months (to take advantage of the lemon laws) ... this just makes the next bit a lot easier.

Lemon law only lasts 3 months so you can push based a bit on the below but you need to find real parameters on the movement of the wheel independently and verified by VW Aust or VW Globally to support your position. It would also be good to record in writing what VW dealers are saying so you can stick it to them legally with the other info you extract in the process and point out to relevant bodies that they are not in compliance with the law and detrimental to the safety of the public. Dont forget they are trying to fog you over or push you off because they know 3 months inst long and that dealers sell second hand cars without a care in the world.

Moral .... don’t but from a dealer second hand they are usually trash better to buy a well maintained private unit which went through all the checks.

I agree there should be a massive 3-5 cms of movement and I am 168cm tall and I can see your wheel is in a dangerous position for a couple of reasons.

Next point: Australian Consumer Law. "Not fit for purpose" !
Now you have two very important weapons (although it depends how much time and effort you have up your sleeve) to complete the concerns at hand.

1- the info you extracted above as mentioned
2- Australian Consumer Law. "Not fit for purpose" protection law.

Based on (1) you can continue with (2) but a bit of hassle going through a tribunal which you would need to do to point out the concerns. You have 3 years from purchase to do this.
My advice ring ACCC (first thing in the morning so you are not waiting in a phone queue) and see which way they can guide you further.

Best of luck and stay strong.

Key here is to push the worrying inadequate position of the wheel, that it is not safe .... for viewing, and therefore negotiation of the vehicle and that it could be a danger to both you and the people around you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jindandy

I have a 2010 and the steering wheel moves about 30mm at the point you measured. Yours looks like it is at the low point, when fully up the gap to the dash is only about 5mm.

If I were you I would keep an eye on the coolant level, particularly as the pressure test did not identify a leak. There is a known issue with the exhaust gas coolant module which can accumulate moisture and cause a catastrophic hydro-lock. Suggest that you do a search & read up on hydro lock & coolant loss
Thanks Ewie.
I will keep an eye on the coolant. I will do the searching once I figure this issue out.

Here are some pictures for reference. Sorry no measurements, but the difference is pretty obvious. For reference up 100% has just enough room for a few sheets of paper and down all the way has about what you have. I threw the cover for the 12v socket into one picture for reference. Hope this helps.

In taking these pictures, I accidentally dropped my phone which went straight between the wheel and instrument cluster...very deep place to loose something...appears to have a fold at the back most area...hope something is lodged back there as I could see this as a culprit.
Thanks Spiegelglatt. I knew I had an issue with my Treg but VW denies their responsibility. VW service had a look, maybe just touching the button and scanning with VAGCOM and no error was found.
I will look into the place again if something is stuck in there in the morning.

Jin
the most important question right now is how long have you had it and i hope you are going to say less than three months (to take advantage of the lemon laws) ... this just makes the next bit a lot easier.

Lemon law only lasts 3 months so you can push based a bit on the below but you need to find real parameters on the movement of the wheel independently and verified by VW Aust or VW Globally to support your position. It would also be good to record in writing what VW dealers are saying so you can stick it to them legally with the other info you extract in the process and point out to relevant bodies that they are not in compliance with the law and detrimental to the safety of the public. Dont forget they are trying to fog you over or push you off because they know 3 months inst long and that dealers sell second hand cars without a care in the world.

Moral .... don’t but from a dealer second hand they are usually trash better to buy a well maintained private unit which went through all the checks.

I agree there should be a massive 3-5 cms of movement and I am 168cm tall and I can see your wheel is in a dangerous position for a couple of reasons.

Next point: Australian Consumer Law. "Not fit for purpose" !
Now you have two very important weapons (although it depends how much time and effort you have up your sleeve) to complete the concerns at hand.

1- the info you extracted above as mentioned
2- Australian Consumer Law. "Not fit for purpose" protection law.

Based on (1) you can continue with (2) but a bit of hassle going through a tribunal which you would need to do to point out the concerns. You have 3 years from purchase to do this.
My advice ring ACCC (first thing in the morning so you are not waiting in a phone queue) and see which way they can guide you further.

Best of luck and stay strong.

Key here is to push the worrying inadequate position of the wheel, that it is not safe .... for viewing, and therefore negotiation of the vehicle and that it could be a danger to both you and the people around you.
Thanks Odessa.
I am trying to gather some more information before I put this in to the real trouble.
I am going to get some pictures of your Treg how they move up & down and print them out. I will take the pictures on the next Monday and give them one more chance to rectify.
Thanks for the ACCC info. .If this does not work, I will contact both VW Australia and ACCC so I hope I can get this thing right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your input seafarer28.

Here is the full story of my issue.

I purchased a pre-owned 2007 Touareg V6 FSI on the Christmas Eve day last year (24/12/2015).
Right after the purchase, I found the steering wheel column was not moving as it is supposed to. The dealer told me that this vehicle was inspected and replaced all necessary parts (front brake pads and rotors etc) and it is 'Ready To Go' with 3 months warranty.
So I called the dealer back that I am having this issue and they booked me in for inspection & repair on 12/1/2016. I explained them that the steering wheel still moves but the height of steering wheel is very limited and it causes me having trouble to see the speedo.
Next day, I got a phone call that all done so I came in but no change on the steering wheel column. The reception called technician and the technician told me 'I have been working at VW for 16 years and that is how it is.' with arrogant attitude like I am complaining for nothing.

I did not want to argue with this terrific technician, who does not even know somethings wrong with the VW eventho someone, just stepped into VW within a month, can identify something is wrong, so I asked reception to show me other Touareg to see how they move.
It was obvious that other touareg had wider range of movement.
He said he will ask head office and let me know during the week. No picture or measurement was taken at this stage from VW Five Dock and I took the Touareg back home like they advised me.

I have no idea how they approached head office for my issue.

A week later, I called VW Five Dock back, and asked the process and other reception told me that they have an answer from head office and it is normal which happened in this morning.

Here are my complaints.

1. VW Five Dock officially refused to my claim to fix the steering wheel column under 3 month pre-owned car warranty. This causes me having major issue during driving such as visibility of speedo is seriously reduced and resulting in issue of complying the legal speed on the public road.

2. VW Five Dock lied to me that steering wheel column of all 2007 V6 Touareg is same as mine and with very arrogant attitude.

I will try to contact them again with pictures from this forum on next Monday for the last chance for them. If this does not work, I might have to contact ACCC and VW Australia.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,185 Posts
I am sorry Jin.....I don't have time to measure mine, as I am about to leave home to catch a flight (not home until Wednesday morning).

I think you have more than enough support information here, without throwing my 'measurements' in as well.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Something is definitely stopping your steering wheel moving up to the highest point it should.

My recollection is that the top of the actual steering wheel itself moves up and down a good couple of inches if not more.

It should be obvious, even to a blind car mechanic, something isn't right.

3mm most certainly wouldn't count as being "adjustable" in any advertising blurb!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Jindandy you have now said the magic word on where you purchased the vehicle from.
I purchased a Touareg from that very same dealer in '07 was appalled by their customer service both in sales and service. I could go on but this is not the post to.

My advise is to keep at them, record all your conversations by sending the after sales manager (with BCC the general manager) an email detailing your concerns and their response. If they are unwilling to fix the steering wheel adjustment then seek an alternate service centre and seek costs from them. You need to be very clear to them that there is a problem. Give them a timeline to conform to and if this is not resolved then inform them what you will do.
You could also try the repair shop on the corner from their service (the NW end of Spencer St). Have them inspect the vehicle, document the problem and then demand the invoice and repairs settled from your place of purchase.

I would approach Fair trading NSW first as if the vehicle is under 160,000kms/10 years old they cover the used vehicle warranty policy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi All.

Thanks all for your comments.
I am making PDF file to document my issue with the pictures from Spiegelglatt.
I will send an email with my points and attachments to them again and see how they go.

Anyways, if you have T2 (same generation) as mine in Australia,

Could you PLEASE take pictures of the highest & lowest position of steering wheel?

So I can prevent them to say that every countries are different as I already have seen them giving me a BS.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The range of adjustment will be the same the world over.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not the same car (2005 manual adjustment) but mine could accommodate me (183cm tall) and my wife (152cm tall / short) no problems

The range of vertical movement was quite large and the column would almost touch the top (as per the photos in the thread)

I was going to say you must be in Cairns, as I had quite a few problems with the dealer up here as others mentioned contact VW direct

1 - 18 of 18 Posts