Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Touareg 7P, 60K miles.
I drove normally to a nearby mall, stopped there 1h and when returning to the car it did not open.
I tried everything, touching the handles, pressing the buttons on the key, trunk, walking around the car, even tried the physical key but it does not unlock.
I went home and brought the spare key, and same issue, batteries ok, 3v.
The red light on the key illuminates but it does not open.
Inside the car when I tried to unlock, the courtesy lights went on.

If neither the physical key opens the car, how can I open it, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Happened to me twice in February. In both cases I left the car in the same parking slot. (Used to park the car near a hospital for ten days). I suspect some equipment was causing an interference. First time I managed to get in after half an hour of desperate attempts to touch the handles and to press the key fob. Second time it was my wife who opened the left rear door. I described her the problem I experienced earlier and nevertheless I parked the car there. Next days I left the car on the other side of the parking.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Did you get into the car . . . ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, I tried everything but I did not managed to open the car.
Car battery is not dead. I was wondering why the emergency key can not open the door.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow I had the exact opposite happen a few weeks ago. I could not lock the the car at all. Neither remote or the physical key. In my case it was a faulty gearshift lever switch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I manage to open the car with the key fob, not with the emergency/physical key.

The CR2032 batteries on both keys were measuring 2.99V but for some reason I changed to one new with 3.05V and it worked.
Can 0.06V cause this problem?

The physical key I tried hard and turn 90 degrees to either side but it does not open. I believe this physical key only works when the car battery is dead.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
On the T1, the keylock will become stiff and eventually stop working unless you use key lube. It should be done at least once a year and even better, once in the spring and once in the fall, twice a year. It is shocking how hard it is to turn the key when the lock has been ignored. This will apply to the T2 as well.

As for the later T3 and T4, I will leave it to those owners to chime in.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I manage to open the car with the key fob, not with the emergency/physical key.

The CR2032 batteries on both keys were measuring 2.99V but for some reason I changed to one new with 3.05V and it worked.
Can 0.06V cause this problem?

The physical key I tried hard and turn 90 degrees to either side but it does not open. I believe this physical key only works when the car battery is dead.
It's not just a matter of voltage, but amperage (the work the battery can do) as well. I had a NEW button battery start acting whonky two weeks after I put it in. The fob light would work but it would only open the car sporadically. Changed it again, been fine for the last 6 mos.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the help I believe the safest way is to have with me always a new spare cr2032 and the tools to change it, or at least check battery amperage always...

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Yes on your voltage. Anything under 2.99 volts is suspect and likely to fail at any time in my T1 remote.

Always get a name brand CR2032. The no name or off brands don't last long and have failed in just a few months for me. I had one generic that lasted for 3 weeks once! It is just not worth it.

Energizer or Duracell CR2032 have been good for my purpose. I can get two years plus some extra from those brands.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I drained my battery a few days ago by leaving the car connected to the caravan overnight with the van fridge running on 12V. The starting battery measured 0.9V in the morning so not even a glimmer from the courtesy lights. The physical key worked but I noticed it sometimes took a couple of turns back and forth to unlock or lock the door.
With my previous 2007 Touareg I was able to jump start from the second battery located under the floor in the back but couldn't this time as you need electricity to open the rear hatch!
ps The battery was charged x 24 hrs and load tested by the autoelectrician and seems to have survived this insult.
pps You can unlock the other three doors without power once inside the vehicle in the usual way. To lock them again without power there is a rubber plug covering a slot located near the door catch mechanism and this can only be accessed when the door is open. It's in the manual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts