Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a happy new Treg owner, 2012 Lux TDI. Planing to use to tow 21' TT to see the little stuff across this beautiful country. I flew to Denver from Phoenix, made the purchase, but 160mi into the trip home the dreaded check engine light illuminated. The code was P040B suggesting a bad EGT Sensor. Since there was no white smoke and engine temp was fine. Continued the 600mi trip home w/o incident. When I looked up the part I find 4 from VW service parts with descriptions of different install locations.
Found an Aussie YouTube video replacing the DPF w/ the EGT sensor located right at the front. See below.
I'm thinking easy peasy. So I got underneath to discover no sensor anywhere on the DPF. I'm stumped.Not much info online and no shop manual available, how does a DYI guy work on these vehicles? I'm not a mechanic, but I've managed to repair all my other cars for 30yrs.
Here's what I see.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SaVAgeSOOT: Wonderful diagram, thanks. I've read about the VCDS software and looked at the Ross Tech website, but am not clear about its advantage, being an OBD user. Some make it sound like a panacea, which if true would be terrific. Can you give an idea in this instance what it would tell me. Is Ross Tech the way to go?

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
1,589 Posts
The only way I can sum it up is basically that it will allow you to just about read\see anything that the vehicle computers (ECU, TCU, many other control modules) see. When properly used, it has tons of capability from reading\resetting\making adaptations\looking at live data\logging, etc.

It's a must have for VW DIYers

Here's a sample of the typical information that tool would give when detecting an EGT sensor issue
001348 - Sensor 1 for Exhaust Temp Bank 1 (G235)
P0544 - 001 - Circuit Malfunction
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 29
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 277485 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.08.02
Time: 16:59:55

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 3197 /min
Speed: 85.0 km/h
Voltage: 14.21 V
Temperature: 84.6°C
Temperature: 930.0°C
Temperature: 288.0°C
Temperature: 252.0°C
As you can see, this is much more informative and useful than just a P0544 that a typical reader would puke out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Started looking thru the SSP, Like a theoretical manual, helpful for actually understanding what's happening in the engine/exhaust/etcetera. As a retired old fart who like to understand how things work, they are great. I was searching the forum; mentions there are multiple SSP's but didn't find a link. Also found mention of a shop manual, which surprised me, because other threads I read here before becoming an owner myself ridiculed the idea of VW dispersing a manual. Is there a reference that explains the nuts and bolts actual process for replacing/repairing specific parts with pictures and descriptions?
Also, I'm sold on the VCDS approach. I mostly see Ross Tech, but are there alternatives others use?

I'm finding the technology in the Treg to be more complicated than what I'm used to working on. Gonna take more effort I'm afraid, but kind of like a new challange.

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
1,589 Posts
Get the authentic VCDS from RT. You can buy cheap clones and such but they are not worth it IMHO.
Maybe you like videos?
Lots more useful info on the RT site, you just need to invest the time to learn about what can be done, etc.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
. I mostly see Ross Tech, but are there alternatives others use?

I'm finding the technology in the Treg to be more complicated than what I'm used to working on. Gonna take more effort I'm afraid, but kind of like a new challange.
No. Vagcom or bust since the 90s

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx for the imput. I'm going to order Ross Tech today. I'm sure I'll looking for assistance down the road as well, great those of you more knowledgeable don't mind sharing.
SaVAGeSoot I'd love to study further SSP's if available and is there any way to do the assessments at the end w/o being a VW Tech?

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
1,589 Posts
Also lookup\read\get up to speed on your dieselgate warranty. That code will be a warranty covered thing that VW will fix for free if you haven't exhausted your warranty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How nice is that. I've got 4000mi and about 2yr left on the warranty. As I'm a new owner is the some process for transferring the warranty to me: paperwork or contacting VW of America, at the National level, or does the local dealer take care of that transfer?

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Nothing to transfer. It's associated with the VIN

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Boy did I get up on the right side of the bed today or what. I haven't owned a car with warranty left in 25y.
I went out to change brakes on my other ride today, but didn't get far before the 100+F made me regret starting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a nuts and bolts question. If I'm looking for information like commonly found in a shop manual, ie idle speed or torque recommended for oil pan plug or the pan bolts themselves, etc, is there a source widely available?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts