Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the situation - 2010 Touareg TDI with 260,000 km (161,500 miles) on the odometer, I've owned it since new. Brakes are shot and I was planning to replace them next week. Multiple repairs over the past year have cost thousands - water pump, ad blue pump, replaced battery, engine control modules and NOx sensors.

Last night driving home from work, the electrical system started going haywire. :mad::mad::mad: "System fault" flashes intermittently on dash. Rearview camera shows up while driving (forward) on the highway. Radio turns on and off intermittently by itself. Proximity sensors flash on and off at least once a minute, and the climate control system fan keeps shutting off and turning on again.

I have loved the vehicle though - it's great in snow and our Canadian climate, and gets great mileage being a diesel. I was holding on until they finally announce the resolution to the emissions issue in hopes that I would get some sort of credit I could use toward my next purchase.

Do I sink an inevitable $1000 or more to repair and hold on until the emissions issue is finally resolved later this year? :confused::confused::confused: Or do I sell now (I'm told there's a lot of demand for the diesels, despite the regulatory situation) and buy a Benz or BMW diesel?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
510 Posts
If all those electrical faults showed up at the same time, it could be a single simple problem.
Betting a loose power connecting or ground connection. (or maybe a bad alternator/regulator)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Or corrosion in the wires by the driver's door which is a known issue with multiple faults arising.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Unfortunately, just knowing it is probably an electrical fault issue does NOT make it simple or inexpensive to find. That is especially true if the OP is paying a dealer at shop-hour rates.
However, with the faults described, the price he will get on trade or sale will be substantially lower so he is stuck either way.

Reactions: CanoeTripper

·
Registered
264 Posts
At 161,000 miles you have to expect a couple of thousand per year in upkeep. Parts fail and need replacing. It's still cheaper than a new car payment.

In the end it depends on your tolerance for the unexpected expense.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't know about that. I have 165,000 on mine, and all I've had to replace is tires. Regular maintenance, but nothing more than a few hundred $$.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I don't know about that. I have 165,000 on mine, and all I've had to replace is tires. Regular maintenance, but nothing more than a few hundred $$.
Can I please get your experience living with the APR tune? After how many miles did you get it completed? What is it like on a day to day basis?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Unfortunately, just knowing it is probably an electrical fault issue does NOT make it simple or inexpensive to find. That is especially true if the OP is paying a dealer at shop-hour rates.
However, with the faults described, the price he will get on trade or sale will be substantially lower so he is stuck either way.
True, but it does give a person a place to start if they are working on it themselves or using an indy shop.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
You need to wait and see the settlement deal for your car. There could be a $5000 cash payment coming your way. Then sell the Rig after the dust settles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update and request for advice

$1,000 (CAD) later, it turns out the drain for the HVAC was plugged and water condensation was spilling into the wiring behind the glove box. I swear I've purchased the equivalent of another new Treg if I totalled my repair bills.

I'm thinking it's time to sell. I can't deal with any more expensive repair bills. Dealer will give me $11,000 on a trade toward a 2016 Golf R, despite the fact that my Treg now has 260,000 km. What do you think?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello noobytoogy, could you please let me know the location of your remarks about corrosion on the drivers door. Where specifically are the wires located?

The multiple electrical issues are presently occuring with my car now.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
$1,000 (CAD) later, it turns out the drain for the HVAC was plugged and water condensation was spilling into the wiring behind the glove box. I swear I've purchased the equivalent of another new Treg if I totalled my repair bills.

I'm thinking it's time to sell. I can't deal with any more expensive repair bills. Dealer will give me $11,000 on a trade toward a 2016 Golf R, despite the fact that my Treg now has 260,000 km. What do you think?
Get the Golf R.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the Golf R

Much as I hated to part with my Touareg, I don't have the cash flow to sink 2 grand into it every other month, which is what it has been over the past 6 months.

So, I negotiated with my dealer (Oakville VW) to give me $11K on the old beast (+ I got the $2K TDI incentive on new vehicle purchases) and was also able to negotiate the price down a bit on the R.

There are a few more speeding tickets in my future!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts