Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There, as always happens the night before a long weekend, I went in to fill up(995km travelled) and the fuel filler flap wont open, no matter how I push it, it wont come open.... I have noticed the last few days when I open the car I no longer hear a click from the fuel filler flap that I used to hear when unlocking the car.

I have tried locking and unlocking the car numerous times, gently massaging the fuel filler flap, not so gently massaging it(hitting it in case some relay needs a hurry up) and nothing is working.

Nothing in the manual says anything about a manual release.

Does anyone know if there is a manual release for it?, I know my Q7 had one, but it is much harder to get into the right hand side of the rear of a touareg than the Q7.

thanks in advance

Matthew

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops, 2013 V6 TDI 4XMotion...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There was a manual release on the T1 and T2.

You accessed it from inside the car by pulling out the removable rear side panel situated behind the filler cap.

I think it was black plastic and hard to see!

Otherwise call a dealer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Mathew
Just looked at my 2012 (same setup) in case I get caught out one day with same problem. The catch is a cylinder on a helix with 2 plastic lugs, these lugs are flexible and with force may be able to open. I just tried mine using normal table knife and a cloth, to lever open. I didn't want to force it, but if I was stuck I am sure it would open. There is a screw there which looks like it holds the filler neck in.

Rod

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Believe it or not, I went out to my car this morning and pushed the unlock button and the fuel filler flap popped open!!!!!

it now seems to be working just fine... might spray a bit of silicone spray in there.

Matthew

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There was a manual release on the T1 and T2.

You accessed it from inside the car by pulling out the removable rear side panel situated behind the filler cap.

I think it was black plastic and hard to see!
So is anyone going to bother to tell us all if there's still a manual release on the T3/T4 . . . ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
So what we have is a Spring Loaded Cylinder with flexible lugs on the outer end which index with the filler flap. When pushed to close ( through a helix within) the cylinder rotates 90 deg and the lugs locate in the locked position. and a catch mechanism holds the cylinder in.

Good to hear that it has opened for you Mathew.. Suspect more of an electrical contact issue rather than a sticky mechanism. Thanks for the Post, at least now if it happens when out in the middle of woop woop I would be confident of getting it open.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Glad you got it open Mathew. I just checked the manual for my T3 and there is no manual release for the fuel flap. According to the manual, one should seek expert assistance which is what Mathew did. He came straight to CT!

Seriously, it would be good to find out from a dealer how they would assist with this.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Seriously, it would be good to find out from a dealer how they would assist with this.
Gary,

I put my money on "The Dealer hasn't a clue".

Stu...

·
Registered
746 Posts
I also noticed this early in ownership. No manual release, for a short while I thought the fuel cover was never locked. But I figured out, if the doors are locked, so is the fuel filler door. When the doors are unlocked, the fuel filler door can be opened. A dead battery would cause the door to be locked if the doors were also locked. When the doors are unlocked, it is also unlocked.

Does a lubricant spray on the fuel filler door mechanism seem likely to help? Now I have to find out..

·
Registered
144 Posts
This was an issue with the Jetta and Passatt for a while. It is nice to see they didn't improve the locking mechanism from 2009. The selenoid goes bad in the locking mechaism and it has to be replaced. I replaced mine in the Jetta in an hour. Some folks said they shot it with WD40 and it worked better, but my daughter drives the Jetta, and I didn't want her running out of fuel.

fuel door won't pop open... - TDIClub Forums

·
Registered
281 Posts
What pushes the fuel door to open when you press the release button. The solenoid is working on my T1 but there seems to be some sort of spring or rubber buffer missing which helps the door to come ajar from the locking pin. I noticed there is a small hole with some groves next to the locking pin, is there something suppose to be there? As a temporary solution, I have inserted a square piece of rubber in the hole, so when the door is closed, the rubber applies a little pressure against it and on pressing the release button the door is pushed out just a little so I can pull it open. Any guidance would be helpful!

·
Registered
23 Posts
This was a common problem on the Amarok too. I had one for 3 years before I got the Treg. With the Rok you could trace the wiring under the tub to a plug in the loom. I just unplugged it and left the flap unlocked. Probably not advisable if you live in town but out in the bush it didn't worry me.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The last gen 3 and 4 don't have inside boot release. I know because the same thing happened to me. The problem is the actuator on the fuel door that craps out. Mine was doing a working on and off.then It finally stopped. I would suggest if this happens to you again have the part replaced. It is not a big deal money wise. Mine was covered by warranty.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The last gen 3 and 4 don't have inside boot release. I know because the same thing happened to me. The problem is the actuator on the fuel door that craps out. Mine was doing a working on and off.then It finally stopped. I would suggest if this happens to you again have the part replaced. It is not a big deal money wise. Mine was covered by warranty.
The issue here is that the door is not coming ajar from the pin when the actuator moves out. Something needs to push on the door, so that when the pin moves the door is pushed out and then one can open it. My temp. remedy is working, I am looking for the OEM solution.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same problem with my 07 treg. I sourced the plastic item that pushes open the door from the US. Unfortunately I couldn’t just buy one and ended up with 8 of the things. Some others on the forum bought some from me and I, obviously, used one. I’ll have a look whether I kept the others if you have a T2 ( sorry if I didn’t read closely enough to discover your model) and you’re interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts