Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
any ideas, hissing sound at idle around tube area, after re'd up, sound gone at idle
:???:

ERD? boost solenoid, tube leak?

also, when cold starting in low temps, rev erratic for 3 seconds (seems only fires on 3 or 4 cylinders) and quite a bit of white unburned diesel smoke. After 3 seconds all normal

car drives really well

2.5 R5, 2004, 50k miles

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
also, when cold starting in low temps, rev erratic for 3 seconds (seems only fires on 3 or 4 cylinders) and quite a bit of white unburned diesel smoke. After 3 seconds all normal
Maybe glow plugs?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Injectors?
Timing?
Low cylinder compression?

Try running some Seafoam through the engine. On my wife's Golf TDI, and my old Landcruiser, when I changed my fuel filter, I'd fill the new one with Seafoam and run it through the engine. It gets diluted with diesel very quickly though. Actually, on the Landcruiser I started running the fuel lines direct from a jar of Seafoam once per year.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Have you carefully inspected the engine oil for diesel contamination?

The injector seals are known to go on these.

Derv leaks past them, drops down through the bores, fills the sump, and, in a worst case scenario, the engine then runs itself to detonation.

Whilst mentioning oil, you do know about only ever using 505.01 or 506.01 VW spec on early R5s to avoid premature camshaft lobe wear, don't you?

There is a UK Touareg site: www.mytreg.com where there are more R5 owners as the model never went to the US.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
snip

car drives really well

2.5 R5, 2004, 50k miles
White smoke is never unburned diesel in my experience. Erratic revs when starting at cold temps could be misfiring because of bad glow plugs in one or more cylinders. Also could be sticking internal parts in the injectors

1 - 6 of 6 Posts