Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Touareg 4.2 V8 showing "Fault running gear-workshop" and occasionally "Stop- running gear fault". Codes present are: 01772 - signal from level control pressure sensor not a plausible signal and 01400 suspension level control limit reached. The car is setting at normal to high and level all the way around. Can someone provide reference to how to isolate and find the which level sensor might be bad, or if that is really the problem?
Anyone have any pictures of where the level control sensor is located?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
What other issues are you having? When does the fault occur?? Sometimes if the compressor is worn out (you can replace the piston ring yourself very easily), it doesn't pump as well as it did when new and the computer thinks there's something wrong when the air pressure doesn't build up as fast as it expects it to.

Usually I just clear the faults and it goes back to normal. But it would help to know if there are any other issues surrounding the faults for you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The compressor was replaced two weeks ago. The dryer box exploded. Seemed to work fine after that until very recently, my wife noticed that the compressor would run longer than normal. Then the "fault running gear workshop appeared". Subsequently the manual controls to raise or lower vehicle do not work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will try and upload a pic and maybe a video showing the location of the level sensors. My sensor mount broke off, I got the same fault codes. Ended up zip towing it in place for now and all is back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot, I could really use some photos or video to visualize where things are.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Did they actually replace the compressor? Or just replace the "head" part of it? Was it a new or used part? If it was a used part and they swapped either just the head or just the compressor, now the piston ring is not matched to the bore and that could cause poor performance of the air compressor.

You could try manually activating the compressor and see how well it pumps (and compresses!) the air.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The compressor was replaced with a new compressor.

How do you manually activate the compressor? Nothing happens when I turn the manual height control knob on the console.

·
Registered
94 Posts
After recently going through similar issues a couple months ago, change your relay under the drivers seat. It may not be common but the relay can stick on and also be intermittent. This alone will throw the fault codes. The relay is fairly cheap. Replace it then if the problem persists, move on. I'm assuming you checked for leaks on all the airbags and valve block.
Level pressure sensor is in the valve assembly (where all the hoses come from behind the compressor) this is replaced as a unit and is expensive.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
That's right. VW recommends replacing the relay whenever replacing the compressor. VCDS allows you to activate the compressor manually.
How?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought that the fuse was under the seat but the relay was under the dash to the right of the steering wheel someplace?????

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In what situations should a height calibration be done? I installed a new compressor but did not re calibrate height. Should I Have?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Lift it to extra then back to auto. If i remember correctly, measurements should be 497mm on the front wheels and 502mm in the back. Center of the wheel to the edge of the fender. I don't remember what the tolerance is but it's fairly close. Plus or minus 5mm?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Latest status:

Replaced relay under seat: Still had "Stop Running gear Fault" Compressor never turned on
Replaced 40a fuse under drivers seat: No longer get "Stop running gear fault" message, compressor turns on, vehicle levels out, however, compressor never shuts off, until I pull the fuse.
Before I replaced fuse, VAG_COM(actually Snapon code reader) showed 1400 code.
When I tried to set vehicle to lowest level, I get "Filling tank" message and no action.
The car does respond to the sport/auto/comfort button

anybody have any further suggestions?

When I had original problem diagnose at the dealer, they wanted to replace the compressor which I have done, but also the solenoid valve and 6 "connection pieces" p/n 7l0616758, which I have not done. Does anyone think the solenoid needs to be replaced. The connection pieces don't seem to do much. (as long as they are not leaking, I would think they should be OK). However I only know where 4 of these pieces go Ie each air shock. Anybody know where the other two go.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The valve block with the 6 connections comes with new connectors. The connectors are for each wheel, the reservoir, and the compressor.

Hard to say if the valve is the problem ??????
And it's expensive from VW.

Do you have vcds have you reset the fault codes in the suspension module.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, Black Fox
I do not have a VCDS. I have to go to a mechanic to use one. When I did, just before I replaced the fuse, I had them reset all the codes, waited a minute, then restarted engine, several minutes later got the the "stop...."message do to the blown fuse. Reread codes at that point and found 01400 set.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The air Pressure sensor is located in the valve assembly. It could be the problem causing the compressor to keep running resulting in the initial air dryer exploding. Or that's a separate issue and you have a leak somewhere in the reservoir system.

You mentioned you replaced the fuse, I'm assuming it was blown?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The compressor is very sensitive to overheating and will ordinarily shut down after about 60" regardless of suspension height or tank pressure. With VCDS you can watch the temp climb. Maybe that solenoid valve is sticking on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts