Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Engine would be seized already with only 3 liters left :)
We need more details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where do the 4 liters of oil go? And how did you measure that? And how can the engine run with a half empty oil system? Please clarify. I’m lost here? If the four liters of oil go into the coolant system it will have to be released out of the coolant system because it’s will be overfilling the system. I don’t get the picture. 4 liters in 20 mn. The oil system uses less than 7 liters !! I’m missing something !

My bad let me explain again, after a recent service, the car threw the Oil Pressure low warning and the Check Coolant. Upon checking, both Coolant and Dip stick had the same chocolate color substances. So we flushed the entire system and changed the oil cooler and ran the engine again with fresh oil & coolant, Once it gets warm after 30 over minutes of idle both start mixing again and milky substance is found in the coolant tank. At this point the Oil Level has gone down to minimum level (6 Liters of oil disappears), so we top up 4 liters of oil and observe again, it disappears within 20 minutes of idle! and we are back to square one with the chocolate mess in both Dip Stick and Coolant reservoir. Bare in mind during this process, temperatures are perfect, car makes no weird noises, and no smoke out of exhaust just steam. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
@TRespect has a good point, what if my theory of your head gasket being bad is correct then the engine is consuming the coolant in the oil. It's possible that the two fluids will mix while also burning it off.

how does your exhaust smell, is it completely neutral or does it have a sweet smell to it, does it smoke or fog at all?

but if the gasket is bad, wouldn't the exhaust start smoking? or wont the car start overheating? as of right now there is no smoke at all. Just steam indicating a good combustion

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I still don’t understand, sorry ! The engine takes 6.6 liters of oil ! How can 6 liters or even 4 liters disappear ? Are we talking oil or coolant? 6 liters of oil going anywhere in that 3.2 engine other than the engine and sump would mean a blown engine.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
4 liters of oil in the coolant system or burning in the exhaust or going through the pcv is a hell or a problem not to be visible either by a blown coolant hose, a big black puddle under the car, a seized engine, a smoking exhaust... how often did you have to do the topping of the 4 liters of oil? This is crazy !

·
Registered
12 Posts
4 liters of oil in the coolant system or burning in the exhaust or going through the pcv is a hell or a problem not to be visible either by a blown coolant hose, a big black puddle under the car, a seized engine, a smoking exhaust... how often did you have to do the topping of the 4 liters of oil? This is crazy !

Im still puzzled. no leaks visible anywhere. engine is still smooth as well. frustrating! after half hour of Idle there wont be any oil left if checking the Dip Stick.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
And you’re adding 4 liters every time? Are you driving with an oil tanker following you? Or you’re not driving it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
And you’re adding 4 liters every time? Are you driving with an oil tanker following you? Or you’re not driving it?

unfortunately no oil tankers. the car is not being driven. all this is happening on idle. engine oil is not cheap!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Flush the coolant system. Just unplug the lower hose either at the radiator connector or at the spring clamp. Collect the coolant and inspect for oil. Remove the intake manifold and inspect. Remove the pcv and inspect the diaphragm. Let me know if you need help with steps to tear down the Treg :) i have a 3.2 and I’m puzzled too.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
You probably have an oil return blockage. I suggest:
1. Let it sit idling so the oil gets hot.
2. Unplug the oil drain and get all the oil out in a metered container. Be careful not to burn yourself. Let it drip until it stops. Check the amount of of oil you get out. Are you getting 10 liters out? I still find it crazy. If you filled it first with 6.6 liters of oil then put 4 more you should be getting 10.6 or let’s says 10 liters. If you get less than 10 then you have an oil return blockage somewhere in the engine.
And do check that pcv. At idle the pcv port (path from engine to intake) is closed with vacuum from the intake pulling the spring down and closing the port. You should also be having oil pressure issues with so much oil in the system.
Question: do you check the oil level when oil is hot or cold? You can’t check the level with engine running at least :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
You probably have an oil return blockage. I suggest:
1. Let it sit idling so the oil gets hot.
2. Unplug the oil drain and get all the oil out in a metered container. Be careful not to burn yourself. Let it drip until it stops. Check the amount of of oil you get out. Are you getting 10 liters out? I still find it crazy. If you filled it first with 6.6 liters of oil then put 4 more you should be getting 10.6 or let’s says 10 liters. If you get less than 10 then you have an oil return blockage somewhere in the engine.
And do check that pcv. At idle the pcv port (path from engine to intake) is closed with vacuum from the intake pulling the spring down and closing the port. You should also be having oil pressure issues with so much oil in the system.
Question: do you check the oil level when oil is hot or cold? You can’t check the level with engine running at least :)

Hi, sorry for the late reply. the cooling system was flushed and tested again, there is Oil going into the Coolant area. the mechanic did not measure the amount of oil being drained out but once the engine was turned off we measured the Dipstick and the oil level was at minimum. If not mistaken the Intake manifold looked dry and clean. Will advise the mech to check the PCV path. Still puzzling tho. Mech seems convinced its the head gasket even though no overheating problems or smoke out of the exhaust. Will update

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Engine would be seized already with only 3 liters left :)
We need more details.

Good O' Hydrolock stops things real good real fast and gives you a dose of here now time to replace STUFF in the engine ! :giggle::giggle::giggle:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Incase anyone was curious of the outcome, I have since replaced the engine with a new unit. Mech suggested by the time they drop the engine and open up everything to investigate it would have costed the same as a replacement engine. So with my wallet a lot lighter, i now at least have a very smooth and powerful new engine. Get a Touareg they said, it'll be fun they said.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
not good but .... on the up (y) (y) ;)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts