Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I really do not know how to change the coil packs in my '04 Touareg V6. I know how to change spark plugs, but coil packs are a new thing for me. Could anyone please offer me some help in changing the plugs and coil packs. Also, do I need wires as well or do the coil packs cover that? The reason I am asking is because my 'reg seems to be sluggish and since I changed plugs and wires on my other vehicle (too embarrassing to say which kind) and it has been running much better and I am pretty sure the 60K service has not been performed. Can anyone please help me?

·
Registered
528 Posts
VW has issued a recall on the ignition coils so check in with your local dealer before changing them out. There are no spark plug wires as the coils sit directly over the spark plug connecting to the plug with a short insulating lead that is part of the coil assembly.

The coils just pull straight out of the valve cover but to remove them is sometimes a problem so twist the coil to help loosen the bond between the spark plug and valve cover. To release the electrical connector simply push it toward the coil first,press the release tab and then pull away from the coil. I also apply a very light coating of dielectric grease to the contact area of the coil lead to spark plug and coil to valve cover to aid in future removal.

Be sure to correctly torque the spark plugs as I have seen many over the years loosen due to heat cycling which in turn can damage cylinder head threads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much...I received that recall awhile back but it said to wait for the dealership to call me. I will give them a call and see what is the status on those parts. If the recall is with the ignition coil does that me they would change each coil pack?

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
Thank you very much...I received that recall awhile back but it said to wait for the dealership to call me. I will give them a call and see what is the status on those parts. If the recall is with the ignition coil does that me they would change each coil pack?
They should replace them all if they are not of the current batch of good coil packs. They replaced all of them on my wife's Passat. I never went through the TSB on the coil packs on my Treg since I got rid of my 04 before I needed to take it in. I don't have to worry about it now since I have a TDI. :)

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,402 Posts
I don't have to worry about it now since I have a TDI. :)
You do remember that VW sent once out a brochure that contained diesel spark plugs. :twisted:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts