Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When accelerating hard onto Hwy I can hear and feel knocking under the center consol arm rest area. At first I though I drove over a rumble strip and then thought I may have had a flat but I'm afraid it's coming from the drive train. Has anyone experiences this or have and suggestions. It sounds really bad but only does it when accelerating. 2005 V8 air suspension.
Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had this same problem last Summer, I let the tread get too low and I guess the powertrain adjusts depending on tread height. Th drive shaft ended up craked if I remember correctly due to the height adjustment I think. Hope this isn't the case and all turns out okay!

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
It's the driveshaft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow tread height... That may be my issue also I just got A/T tires for off roading put on a couple months ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my remedy is to replace the drive shaft? I'm guessing that's not something I can pull off in the driveway with basic tools.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I do wonder, sometimes, if anyone ever uses the Search facility before they post!

Centre Console? Banging? Noise?

Centre bearing on the drive shaft.

VERY well known problem and LOTS of threads on here about it [type "Centre Bearing" into Search] with fixes from $80 [DIY] to a few hundred [refurbed shaft] to nigh on two grand [if you go to the dealer for a complete new shaft].

Here's just one of the longer threads to get you going:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/high-pitch-squealing-noise-when-driving-16688.html

From your description, do not drive the car or you may damage the even more expensive transmission.

Unless you are very close and can drive it there slowly without the knocking, get a flat bed to take it to your chosen workshop.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Wow tread height... That may be my issue also I just got A/T tires for off roading put on a couple months ago.
You must always run the Touareg with 4 IDENTICAL tires - same make, same model, same size, same tread pattern and similar tread depth otherwise you may damage the transmission.

The drive shaft failure is to do with the rubber around the centre bearing perishing after around 5 years/60,000 miles, whichever comes first: some last longer, some don't, and some run just fine.

Get out, get under and have a look for yourself:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
nsole? Banging? Noise?

Centre bearing on the drive shaft.

VERY well known problem and LOTS of threads on here about it [type "Centre Bearing" into Search] with fixes from $80 [DIY] to a few hundred [refurbed shaft] to nigh on two grand [if you go to the dealer for a complete new shaft].

Here's just one of the longer threads to get you going:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/high-pitch-squealing-noise-when-driving-16688.html

From your description, do not drive the car or you may damage the even more expensive transmission.

Unless you are very close and can drive it there slowly without the knocking, get a flat bed to take it to your chosen workshop.[/QUOTE]

holy you tell em Nooby lol But seriously the guy sounds like he is grasping at anything he has only posted 3 times and was saying tread depth after it was mentioned. Eric it will be your centrr bearing have some one competant remove it buy a refurbed unit and have it refitted end of problem regards drag 5

1 - 9 of 9 Posts