Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted on a few threads questions regarding the aftermarket install of a double din on a 2004 V8 Touareg but some of the questions are going unanswered. I have screened through a lot of these threads and have not found anything spot on to my current set up. My goal is to replace the non-nav radio with six disc changer in the back with an aftermarket navigation (looking at the alpine 920bt since it seems to match) which will include the bluetooth and ipod integration. I would consider the stock rns 520 but it seems to cost a little more than I really want to spend especially since its an 04. The most important thing to me is that I don't want to lose my steering wheel controls. Pac seems to make an interface that will work for my set up, but it will only allow volume control and nothing else. I would like to find a product that would include track and volume, and in a perfect world- this is a stretch i know, make it work with midi instrument display on the dash. From the research I have done, it seems like 04 is a difficult year because there seems to be more compatibility with the 05's than the 04's unless I am reading it wrong. Thats a possibility since I didn't think anything changed between those years. So does any one know of an interface that will allow me oem functionality with an aftermarket unit. I know I am expecting a lot with an aftermarket unit, but I would like to get as close as i can to reaching my goal. I am trying to do as much hw before hand instead of going out and buying a million different parts through trial and error. A few people have replied with 05's but I am looking for info regarding experience with the 04's. Along with an interface I will also need the wiring harness. That seems to be a little easier to find. But for those who have used them on 04's please give me the link to a wiring harness that you have used that turned out to work perfectly..(e.g. radio turning off when you pull out the key).

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
To my knowledge no aftermarket except some of the 510 knockoffs will have the mfi info. Honestly I dont use mine and normally have the instant mpg on all of the time.

I think that PAC is incorrect and that if the MFI is selected to one of the radio display settings that it will allow you to use the scroll on the steering wheel for the track selection. I'm hoping to be able to test this out this weekend.

Check out my post on the c2r-vw2 adapter for the wiring harness. It works perfectly...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. Let me know if it works for you? I am assuming that your going to try it on an 04 or are you going to try it on the 07 you have posted under your profile. I believe there is a difference between the two

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
I've tried the c2r-vw2 adapter on my 07 and that works like a charm. I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't work the same for yours and also the pac swi-xx (xx= radio model PS for me for pioneer)

I'm think that the differences in can-bus are only for the MFI display and not the steering wheel...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah your right that one does work with mine as it includes my year in the compatibility. LEt me know if does track changes that would be awesome. At this point thats the only thing holding me back. Those aftermarket Rns replica units are nice though, and tempting especially since they work with the display, but Im afraid that they are junk. I think a few guys tried it on here and it didnt go to well.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
I'll let you know :)

Oh and PAC said that the c2r-vw2 adapter wouldn't work with my t-reg since it has nav, so I think that's why the track can be taught since you teach the pac swi module what can-bus commands to look for...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts