Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

In advance - I have researched this issue extensively and tried all of the tricks in the book...please don't just tell me to do research, I really need some help here and have been checking forums for 2 days.

The issue - water (suspect A/C cond. drainage) sporadically poured onto my right foot while driving, specifically taking sharp right turns after just starting on the road. Now, I have a soaked driver side carpet and with Hawaii's year-round heat, mold will grow quickly.

I immediately researched this issue, first looking into the common bulkhead clog...I followed those steps and pulled the rubber garments from the wheel wells and side panels. I did see a small amount of water come out but not much...it didn't appear to be too clogged but it was full of gunk...like an ounce. With no luck there, I suspected it was something with a dislodged A/C line but do not know this issue very well. I ended up attempting to drain the A/C condensation line on the passenger side but again to no avail...small amounts of water (drops)...nothing that would cause such a pool of water below my driver side carpet.

I do not think this is a bulkhead drain clog issue because my car has been relatively dry and always parked indoors...the cold water hitting my foot makes me think it's an A/C issue because I suspect it's coming out of the floor vent on my side (can't confirm)...but it's a lot of water. I would say almost a liter on driver side floor. One last thing to note is that sometimes the A/C, when on a mid-power setting, will squeal lightly (sound from the passenger side vents) but then stops...I do run it heavy most of the time since it's always hot here. I also couldn't navigate to the top of the bulkhead (or see any water pooled anywhere when I took off the wipers, etc. but maybe I looked in the wrong spot?), so I might have missed something there too.

Any detailed help is sincerely appreciated. I must fix this soon before the water damages something. Hopefully my description is enough to paint a decent picture of the issue.

Thank you!
Mike

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you access your in cabin filter, you will see a "pan" to catch AC moisture, and a line draining it. That line must/probably be clogged, and slosh out of the pan. Open it up and run a dull flexible 'wire' down the drain tube to clear the line!

BUT that is all on the passenger side????????????????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you access your in cabin filter, you will see a "pan" to catch AC moisture, and a line draining it. That line must/probably be clogged, and slosh out of the pan. Open it up and run a dull flexible 'wire' down the drain tube to clear the line!

BUT that is all on the passenger side????????????????

Thanks for your feedback. Heres the issue (and you mentioned it). That spillage would occur on the passenger side where the pan is. Which is what makes this so confusing. I'm almost certain this water is from the AC because it's so clean. I already pulled the panel and checked the pan and when I opened the line there was no water backed up into the pan, which tells me the pan is obviously not overflowing.

Back to the bulkhead, I still wonder if perhaps there is a clog somewhere because all I could manage was to pull the garments near the wheel well and stick a 2ft tube up to clean debris from the bottom, not top-down. No water came out from the bottom.

Can someone show me how to access the top of the bulkhead via pic? I can't even remove my wipers they are seemingly caked on. Lol.

Anyways, I really think this is AC cond. water....its seeming to just be pouring out of the middle consol onto the driver footwell, no idea where though (not thinking the vent anymore) but just right by the gas pedal and my right foot. So frustrating.

Anyone?? Thanks

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It is very easy to check the bulkhead drains.

Get a hosepipe running gently and place it at the bottom of the windscreen on the driver's side.

Then look in the wheel arch and see if the water is running out of the drain.

Then do the same on the passenger side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
AC Drain

facing same issue and found this, thought it might be helpful but since I can't post links just google:
"Porsche Cayenne: Hi, I have recently been getting water on"
and you will find a simple guide

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's my issue - I cannot locate the spot where I run the wire down the bulkhead? Also, do you have any recommendation on the type and size of wire I need to use?

As mentioned, I've already pulled the plugs in the wheel wells so it will flow better, assuming it's a leak...but I just can't track down the spot in the bulkhead where the water get's backed up at...pictures would greatly help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a picture of where the leak is coming from (just above tip of my finger, between plastic and carpet).

I'm also frustrated because the car hasn't gotten wet in quite a while, but that doesn't mean it can still be from old water. It's just strange because the water is clean and still coming steady when I am turning. Really think it's something to do with the AC but I'm stumped. Wish I had more time to investigate further. Still don't know how to access the top of the bulkhead because the other forms seemed to be RH side driver vehicles. Must be a little different.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Mike, I have the exact same problem with my car and obviously it only happens when the AC is on. I gave up trying to figure it out and am planning to take it in to a professional AC shop. Thankfully the weather in Bahrain has cooled down significantly that I don't need to switch on the AC anymore, so I'll just do it during my annual leave in December.

I'll post about the results if you don't solve this mystery first.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Have you checked the heat exchanger next to the cabin filter. Are you the original owner? It could be a build up of sludge on the condenser not allowing the water to drain down the correct path. How's the air flow out of the vents? If it is diminished or there is build up find a local a/c shop that offers cleaning of the heat exchanger or heater core.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Mike, I have the exact same problem with my car and obviously it only happens when the AC is on. I gave up trying to figure it out and am planning to take it in to a professional AC shop. Thankfully the weather in Bahrain has cooled down significantly that I don't need to switch on the AC anymore, so I'll just do it during my annual leave in December.

I'll post about the results if you don't solve this mystery first.
I'm sorry to hear you're having the same issue, but I suppose it's good that I'm not alone... I think our hot climates and frequent (in my case year-round) A/C use could generate such quantities of water. Look forward to hearing what your issue is...I would think it could only be a couple of options, provided the issue is so specific. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you checked the heat exchanger next to the cabin filter. Are you the original owner? It could be a build up of sludge on the condenser not allowing the water to drain down the correct path. How's the air flow out of the vents? If it is diminished or there is build up find a local a/c shop that offers cleaning of the heat exchanger or heater core.
Good info to have. I will look into it. I'm not the original owner. The air flow is pretty good but I would say maybe not as great as it was, let's say a year ago. That could just be a result of an especially hot summer here in Hawaii. I will try to troubleshoot this a few more days then have the mechanic take a look. I just cringe when I can't do it myself because maintenance out here is so expensive, especially on any VWs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts