Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow VW owners!

New to the forum and wanted to say hello to you all. I have recently purchased a 2004 V8 Touareg in Austin Texas. I knew it had some problems so I picked it up for a good price. Now to start fixing up my new beast!

First thing I had to fix was the 4x4 being stuck in Low. Simply reset the switch and was able to select it to high. This was right off the lot so it allow me to get almost half of the asking price.

A few days after being the owner, found that I was not able to shift out of Park. Had a few Codes pop-up, check engine light, ABS light. Brake Fault message etc. Fortunately, for me, others have had experience with this issue. I was able to find and re-splice the corroded cables in the drivers side flooring. So thanks to the folks that had posted their experiences on here!

Attachments

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
Do you know about changing the timing belt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat every 80,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first?

A new boy on here has just found out for folks like you that there is a date of manufacture stamped on Conti timing belts.

Unless you know for sure you're home and dry on the belt [your engine is toast if it fails], take five minutes to check the date on the belt ASAP.

It's in the correct international format by the way as in DD/MM/YYYY and forms the latter part of a longer ID number.

Do read this thread too if you haven't seen it:

Buying a used Touareg. What to look for. - myTreg forums

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Noobytoogy,

Thank you for bringing this up to my attention. I was not aware of the timing belt stamp, I will be sure to check that out. When I bought the Touareg, I browsed through the performed maintenance on CarFax and see that the timing belt maintenance was performed not too long ago. Quite cool that the previous owner performed all of the maintenance at a Dealer. Seems like the problems started and they were smart enough to move on, and I, Dumb enough to pick it up.. hahahaha!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.