Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a t2 2008 v6 Touareg for a couple of years already and I’m a big car enthusiast. Love the car and the ride. It just recently turned 100k miles bday, so it was mostly babied and pampered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
However, my wife (who drives the car), complained that the car started to stutter and shake at certain times. I changed the air filter yesterday and I noticed something that I’ve never seen before.

The VW sign on the engine block detached sucks air in when you step on throttle. I took a pic below to illustrate. I’ll try to upload a video clip later (cannot do it from my phone).

Has anyone seen this before?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
However, my wife (who drives the car), complained that the car started to stutter and shake at certain times. I changed the air filter yesterday and I noticed something that I’ve never seen before.

The VW sign on the engine block detached sucks air in when you step on throttle. I took a pic below to illustrate. I’ll try to upload a video clip later (cannot do it from my phone).

Has anyone seen this before?

Here is the video:

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Do you know that VW Emblem is letting air into the intake? One would think that the Emblem is just a decorative part stuck onto a solid piece of plastic, but VW does strange things.

A theory is that it is just stuck on, but those plastic manifolds flex. Perhaps we have a stress fracture right beside the logo.

Get something that makes smoke. Let someone else run the throttle. Hold the smoke source near the logo.

The smoke will tell the truth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know that VW Emblem is letting air into the intake? One would think that the Emblem is just a decorative part stuck onto a solid piece of plastic, but VW does strange things.

A theory is that it is just stuck on, but those plastic manifolds flex. Perhaps we have a stress fracture right beside the logo.

Get something that makes smoke. Let someone else run the throttle. Hold the smoke source near the logo.

The smoke will tell the truth.

I was not sure because I haven’t noticed that before. Are you saying that is how it should be? The logo is actually a clipped cap that lets the air in?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
No.

Anything past the air filter should not leak. We don't want air to exit or enter unless it came thru the air filter first.

Find a candle that smokes when you put it out or a cheap cigar. Place it close to that VW emblem. See if the smoke wants to sucked into the emblem or if it is blown away.

If the smoke doesn't react, then you don't have a leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No.

Anything past the air filter should not leak. We don't want air to exit or enter unless it came thru the air filter first.

Find a candle that smokes when you put it out or a cheap cigar. Place it close to that VW emblem. See if the smoke wants to sucked into the emblem or if it is blown away.

If the smoke doesn't react, then you don't have a leak.

Got it. That’s exactly what I thought. I’m afraid there is an air leak, coming with the whistling noise (when stepping on the pedal). I’m not sure how much you can see from my video upload above, but there’s definitely air coming out because the emblem seems to move up and down and creates a small air hole where this whistle noise is coming from.
I’m reading PcV valve diaphragm failure post and I hope this is not causing this issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have Touareg R5 2008 I have a problem when I go slow and i brake mostly in traffic I get knocked in my car the same is when I go in reverse can anyone help me please

1 - 10 of 10 Posts