Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2016 v6 FSI Lux
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
JoelFSI
your Touareg is looking good!
curious about spare carrier tho. I plan to just keep mine in cargo area inside and I got roof cargo box for everything else since I will have passengers on my next adventure. Looks like you will have to remove your spare every time you need to access your cargo area thru hatch or hatch glass.
I will have one pin at the top that attaches to the roof rack, i can pull it and lower the tire away from the rig as its mounted to the receiver on two hinge points.. Im just kinda playing with it right now. I wanted one that did not block any sensors or the camera / lic plate. Kinda failed a little with the plate.

When lowered, the tire should be about 1 foot off the ground. Ill post a better pic an a bit.

· Registered
2016 v6 FSI Lux
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here are some better pics. I was thinking about having it stop about 1 foot off the ground but having it drop all the way down makes it much easier to attach the tire im finding out.

Everything is still very rough. I still need to cut a bunch of metal off the new receiver mount.

I tried to follow the body lines..

Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Wheel

Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Car Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,934 Posts
If you extend your verticals up to the transition point and then triangulate into the safari rack, it will provide you a better attachment point for your "hub" plate.... that wheel\tire combo isn't light and since you'll most likely be offroading, there will be considerable fatigue being induced in those "stand offs" while you bounce over stuff.... you'd have more integrity if you "spread" the load across the triangle.... plus this will fully expose your license plate which is most likely the only thing the fuzz might give you heat for.

Here's by paint blueprint of what I'm suggesting.
Automotive tail & brake light Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

· Registered
2016 v6 FSI Lux
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If you extend your verticals up to the transition point and then triangulate into the safari rack, it will provide you a better attachment point for your "hub" plate.... that wheel\tire combo isn't light and since you'll most likely be offroading, there will be considerable fatigue being induced in those "stand offs" while you bounce over stuff.... you'd have more integrity if you "spread" the load across the triangle.... plus this will fully expose your license plate which is most likely the only thing the fuzz might give you heat for.

View attachment 250970
Thanks for the tips, i have a bunch of scrap steel here and I am not afraid to cut it apart and redesign if needed. Im waiting on some vw lug bolts and m14 x1.5 nuts so i can tighten the tire down to the mount and abuse it a little for testing.

· Registered
2016 v6 FSI Lux
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

View attachment 250970
I took your advice.
This is just tacked together but you can see where its going. The plate is visible now.
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Wheel

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,934 Posts
It will look good when done.... And custom so good on you. Check the reversing with it on. If the rear sensor still "sees" it, there an adaptation you can perform to tell it to ignore the first few inches, etc.

· Registered
2016 v6 FSI Lux
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
It will look good when done.... And custom so good on you. Check the reversing with it on. If the rear sensor still "sees" it, there an adaptation you can perform to tell it to ignore the first few inches, etc.
I beefed up the tire mount a bit more with some 1" round bar to the sides. There is no wiggling anywhere. Its solid.

Ross tech should be here soon along with my lug bolts and metric nuts. The backup camera and sensors have no complaints so far either.
Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive carrying rack

Helmet Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Bumper

· Registered
2016 v6 FSI Lux
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Finished the spare tire mount (minus new rear brake light) Finished painting the wheels matte black. Im a finisher...

I do have the backup alarm going crazy once i get into a turn as its seeing the uprights.

Ross tech came in today so i should be able to adjust it there, i think....
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
2016 v6 FSI Lux
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I got into some soft sand a few minutes ago at the beach and we felt the touareg sink in pretty good. We were stuck...

My wife was freaking out i could tell....

I had to put it in off road mode and she (the touareg) just climbed right back on top of the sand.

It was glorious.. I was impressed

· Registered
5,674 Posts
I got into some soft sand a few minutes ago at the beach and we felt the touareg sink in pretty good. We were stuck...

My wife was freaking out i could tell....

I had to put it in off road mode and she (the touareg) just climbed right back on top of the sand.

It was glorious.. I was impressed
Abs and TCS will really hurt you in deep sand and snow. Off-road mode and TCS off is the ticket

Reactions: JoelFSI

· Registered
5,674 Posts
Thanks, i did not even think to turn off TCS. I dont think the tires even spun as it climbed out of the sand.

Will play with it more today.
TCS kills too much wheel spin, which you NEED in deep snow and sand sometimes

Reactions: JoelFSI
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.