Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kind of jumped the gun here and started posting problems before I introduced myself. My name is Marsh, and I am a new Treg owner! Well, my egg isn't quite new, but I I'm the new owner. I have a 2004, V8, with air ride, and all the bells and whistles. I'm taking a gamble, because it's used, and usually the more add-ons, the more than is likely to break.

So far, it's got a couple of issues. The usual Tire pressure sensor failures, a brake pad sensor failure, and some cosmetic issues, but overall, I can't complain! Not for the price I paid! The stereo is amazing, it rides well, and has tons of pickup!

I want to upgrade the head unit, and I'm replacing the old HID's with new bulbs, and eventually some new tires. Then hopefully nothing else!

I'm mechanically inclined, and I have a brother who works at Audi who can get me parts. Hopefully crossing my fingers, I don't run into all the problems others have experienced.

Hello all!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Welcome Marsh and congrats on the new to you touareg. Get familiar with your owners manual as there much to learn about your new rig. Check out threads by Noobytoogy for some pertinent info and advice. If you're going to Diy your repairs you might want to invest in a repair manual and a Vag-Com from Ross Tech. Post some pictures when you can do we can see the new ride.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Looks nice, are you going to find some off road adventures?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to. I need to get some different tires. Right now, they're riding on some nitto street tires. If I can slap some new rubbers on there, I'll be good to go. My brother has an '87 Jeep grand wagoneer and my cousin has a '93 Cherokee lifted up. They both want to see what the egg can do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome, Marsh, and thanks for posting the pictures. Between your Tuareg, your brother's Jeep Grand Wagoneer, and your cousin's Cherokee, you guys give new meaning to road trip family fun. Do keep us posted about your adventures driving on rough terrain.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
You'll be able to keep up with a stock FSJ (Full Size Jeep, that's what your brother's Grand Wagoneer is) no problem. I used to wheel with them. And you might give that lifted ZJ a run for its money, esp if the ZJ isn't locked.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I don't think either jeep has a shot. Both jeeps run open diffs, and the FSJ weighs, well, never mind, the little egg actually more than a FSJ, according to the Internet. I don't really believe that.. I knew she was heavy, but damn!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Even with the "electronic" ABS style locker that the Touareg uses (esp. on the front), you'll more than be able to keep up with them. But they'll be able to smash down on rocks and things more. The Touareg's underbelly is too soft for that!! (That's why I got one of Dragline's skid plates!)

Because of the Touareg's horrible articulation, you'll have better photos with your wheels hanging in the air, though!! Have fun on the trails!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tell me more about these skid plates. I totally believe in protecting the rig.

Also, on another note, looking at new tires. Some sissy put some street tires on it, which I think should be illegal. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It is well worth the money I paid for mine. It would be easily 3X the cost for me to pay a custom fabricator here in the US to do similar work. And it probably wouldn't look as good as this one because Dragline has figured it all out. It's a work of art, really.

If the snow here in CO doesn't shut the trails down this weekend, I'm hoping to try it out Sunday!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts