Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Bill, new member here, first time VW owner. I picked up a high mileage 04 vr6 touareg earlier this year that needed a little tlc. Going to make a trail rig/overlander out of it.

Here it is bone stock.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

200k miles and very clean. No rust anywhere on the body and no damage.

So far I've changed the tires, fixed the driveshaft carrier, installed 40mm lift blocks, 30mm spacers, trimmed some body work, added a roof basket and some lights and added a 12k winch.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Dog Car

Love all the info I've got from here so far.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have the same mode/year but the offroad grey color. I have done a bunch of repairs myself and right now I’m dealing with a transfer output shaft case leak and a noisy intake manifold shifter rod. If you have any issue let me know. I put a set of K02s on it. Looks sweet and mean :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
There are a bunch of things you have to attend to before things start falling apart. I’ll be back with a list when I have the tome.
But first rule 5k miles oils service to avoid the stretching chain issue. Maybe a new tensioner, not expensive. An ATF service if you know your way around the gearbox. Diff fluids and transfer case fluid. I found less about 250ml instead of 850ml of oil in the transfer case.
And most of all get yourself a genuine vcds cable if you haven’t already got one.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,473 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums. Congrats on your purchase.
Lots of info here and people with knowledge, especially on your gen Treg that will help you to keep it in top shape.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are a bunch of things you have to attend to before things start falling apart. I’ll be back with a list when I have the tome.
But first rule 5k miles oils service to avoid the stretching chain issue. Maybe a new tensioner, not expensive. An ATF service if you know your way around the gearbox. Diff fluids and transfer case fluid. I found less about 250ml instead of 850ml of oil in the transfer case.
And most of all get yourself a genuine vcds cable if you haven’t already got one.

Fluids are half done. I changed the oil a couple times in the first 5k and have done 1 of 4 trans fluid changes. The trans has a new filter in it and I have 1 on the shelf for the last change. I have a decent scan tool already.

Wrenching on my own stuff is a hobbie and I'm not afraid to dig in deep when needed. I have a big box of home gamer tools along with a torch and welder.

Thanks for the tips (and only for a min) it's much appreciated

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Lots of folk over the years have said that rhey have a good scanner but you really can't do better than investing 200 bucks in VCDS from Ross-Tech. It gets places other scanners don't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts