Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started liking VW Toureg
I already have a van that I go to work with and I'm looking to get my second Car
so it's not going to be every day Car
started searching for Toureg and and I came across in Craigslist
2004 VW Toureg V8 4.2 96000 Miles for only $6500
so I went look at it today Nice looking car the exterior is in pretty good shape interior pretty good to however it did have one problem airbag light was on
also when I popped the hood the plastic that covers the engine piece of it was missing you look as somebody did some work to it recently because things were not put back the way they should and the guy that sells it doesn't probably know much about the car since it's his business to buy and sell I ask him where did he get it he said that he got it from a dealer somebody traded so I don't really trust that I thank he got it from the auction
anyways overall I do like the car and I think the price is pretty fair and I'm just not sure if I should buy it or not since I was reading complains about The year 2004 and I'm afraid I'm going to buy it and right away start fixing things
I also drove it around the parking lot and it drives pretty good
thank you all

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
That price is low, given the mileage on it, even for an 04. Makes me wonder what else is wrong. :- /

Or it could be a screaming' deal. But if I was going to buy one that needed work, I wouldn't pay more than $4,000 or so, expecting to put $3,000 or more into it via repairs.

I'd want it scanned by the VW dealer or with VCDS to diagnose that airbag fault.

Missing covers can go both ways. It could also mean that someone has maintained it regularly and realized what a PITA it was to always remove and re-instal those covers. <shrug> Who knows....

If you're not comfortable with buying it, pass. There will be others. I looked at several locally before I did a national search and found one out of state. The one for you is out there. Take your time.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Airbag light. Mmmmm, if you can't scan the system for faults to confirm what's wrong then keep looking elsewhere, it may have been in an accident if there are clips and things broke in the engine bay.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Never buy a Touareg (there is an a in the name by the way) with known faults.

It could just be remaking the connections in thevwell known fault of the airbag connector under the front seats which will need VCDS or similar to reset the warning light or it could be more problematic.

Whilst the light is on some or all of the airbag system is disabled so the car is not roadworthy.

Do you have the service records? If not then these are the items that need immediate attention:

New timing belt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat. If the belt let's go the engine is toast.

New brake fluid.

New ATF and transfer box flid.

New oil in the diffs.

There is no such thinges as a cheap Touareg.

Read the buying a used Touareg thread. The link is in my signature..

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Apologies for spelling errors which I thought I had corrected - my phone screen is too damned small!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts