Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
Has anyone towed a 3.5ton ATM caravan with a 180kW Treg? I tow a 2 tonner now but would like to upgrade. Have just completed the Gibb River Road without a hitch, although I will change tyres from Scorpion ATR to BFGoodrich AT (greater side wall protection!)
Regards
Michael

· Registered
159 Posts
Michael

I tow a 3380 kg Traveller Prodigy
Absolutely effortlessly with the 8 speed gearbox in my 2015

Fred K

· Registered
428 Posts
Paul, I bought 5 Porsche rims 18" as the standard 20" did not have enough rubber. Size : 265 65 R18's.

Michael, thanks for the feedback. I have Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265/60R18s... which apart from loosing some wet road grip now with 50,000 kms wear on them, they've been excellent. Looking at new tyres now and seriously considering the Michelin Latitude Cross 265/60R18 - but I typically don't swap out the wheels and will use these (as I do with the Pirelli Scorpions) for everyday use and offroad travels. A compromise for sure, but works for me.

I did 12,000kms last year through the Flinders, the Simpson, roads like Cordillo Downs to Birdsville and another trip around the Victorian High Country. On the dirt/gravel I normally run 24-28 and everyday driving 32 front and 36 rear. Towing is dependent on the weight in the rear of the vehicle and the ball weight, but normally 35/36 up front and 38/40 rear - and I follow the 4psi rule to gauge if the pressure/temperature is doing what it should. Btw, I only tow 1.5 tonne with our camper trailer.

Out of interest, did you just puncture your Pirellis or slice the side walls?

Cheers Paul.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.