Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Touareg 3.0 TDI 88000km no mods
Recently during 100 km run to the coast steering became heavy - there is still SOME help getting through but much still heavier than normal
Have checked tyre pressures, tracking and fluid - all OK now - the tyres had had low pressures
stopped and restarted the engine a number of times and gone for daily drives -
no change
disconnected battery and reconnected - no change
has anyone any ideas.
I have seen mention of there being a blue and a white wire in the (?which) wheel well that can corrode and cause problems - where do these go and what are they - ? sensor
any help gratefully received
thanks in advance
Philip

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Philip,
The Touareg Power Steering is a simple Hydraulic System, old school, and if you are experiencing a heavy wheel, it is probably an issue with either the rack or loss of pump pressure.
I do not think there is anything electronic in the system, other than the steering angle sensor which is not related to the power system.

One simple check, is to push your front tyre pressure up to MAX , check the side wall of the tyre for the value, and try it on a very smooth concrete surface. It should be very light on the wheel. If is has not changed then its time to look at the pump and rack. Do drive at Max Tyre Pressure for any distance or speed.

Stuart....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stuart and nikoloz
I have now had the power steering fully inspected.
They think the issue is with the Servotronic Solenoid - N119 -
The power steering is OK at high speeds but heavier at low speeds - It is still driveable but cannot turn the wheel with a finger as I used to be able to do.
The trouble is that no-one can find a part number for this bit.
Apparently ZF make the rack assembly and it is $ 3600 here in Australia.
Has anyone any clues about how to get round this ?
Thanks in advance guys (and girls!)
Philip

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Thanks Stuart and nikoloz
I have now had the power steering fully inspected.
They think the issue is with the Servotronic Solenoid - N119 -
The power steering is OK at high speeds but heavier at low speeds - It is still driveable but cannot turn the wheel with a finger as I used to be able to do.
The trouble is that no-one can find a part number for this bit.
Apparently ZF make the rack assembly and it is $ 3600 here in Australia.
Has anyone any clues about how to get round this ?
Philip
I may be able to help you I just need to get out to my workshop and look at the rack I have on the shelf.

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Philip
Glad you mentioned girls there: I 've always been a bit worried about Drag's nom-de-plume!!:twisted:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,
New to this forum and loving life in the Touareg!
I'm having exactly the same problems/symptoms with my power steering as mentioned above whereby it feel the power steering is on half power or less....
I used to be able to turn the wheel with my fingertips.
It became intermittent to begin with only being difficult for the first 2/3 mins after startup then rectifying itself...
As the days went by it would take longer to sort itself out and now the problem is permanent.

I saw from the comments above about a solenoid? was this the culprit in the end?

Any suggestions would be great as I'm not in a position to throw money at random components hoping the problem will disappear...

Many thanks
James UK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry everyone - I haven't been on line as had password issues
And I also have not solved the PS problem, still cannot bring myself to pay $4000 approx to replace the steering rack assembly when all I need is a bloody solenoid - !! :mad:

Dragline 1570 did you get to have a look around ?

Philip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts