Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. As winter descends I'm looking for ways to get warmer quicker. One pain on my 2014 is the heated steering wheel has to be activated through the head unit which takes a good while to be available.

I notice the facelift added a dash button for the heated wheel - is that whole trim piece the same size as on the 2014s just with extra buttons? Could it be retrofitted?

Alternatively, is there a VAG-COM setting to make the heated steering come on automatically? (Is it me or is VAG-COM info much thinner on the ground for the later model Touaregs vs most other VW models?).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So a bit of Googling answered a bit of my question - looks like the dash trim is exactly the same size from pre- to facelift. Hmmm... Part numbers? Thoughts on how the button would connect...?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm.. sinking feeling as I look around a bit more and suspect the black plastic around the screen and buttons is actually all part of the screen unit itself... Probably means the wiring etc all works through the screen unit which is probably a good thing.

Anyone any ideas on the part number for the screen/trim panel in a Canadian/US 2015/2016?

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
I'd like to figure this one out as well. Unfortunately since VW never uses universal harnesses, I doubt that any wiring is in place. As you say, perhaps the button is linked to the head unit.

I think the only way to figure it out is to have a 15+ with the button beside you, or to spend painstaking time looking a wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I can tell you that the i.e. 2013 method of activating HSW is still present in the climate menu even though the 2016 has the hard button control as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. My guess at this stage is that the head unit already has a way to signal to the heated steering wheel so hopefully the harness is unchanged, they just hard wired a button into the unit which then sends the same signal.

Definitely appears I'd need the whole screen unit from a 15/16. What price convenience and warmth is the question! Until I can figure out Webasto retrofit I need all the warmth I can get though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
801 Posts
In a similar vein - is there a way through VCDS to enable it to remember your last setting? So if it was on when the car turned off, it comes back on? Kind of like the seat heat on the driver's side?

I'd be interested too - by the time the head unit boots up and I can turn the SW heat on, my hands are cold.... :( I know. First world problems here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In a similar vein - is there a way through VCDS to enable it to remember your last setting? So if it was on when the car turned off, it comes back on? Kind of like the seat heat on the driver's side?

I'd be interested too - by the time the head unit boots up and I can turn the SW heat on, my hands are cold.... :( I know. First world problems here.
Yeah, that would work for me too. I'm planning to fire up VCDS and have a poke around at some point when I can go out and not freeze. It seems like the Touareg VCDS options are way less well documented, presumably because it's a lower volume vehicle and fewer people are interested in tinkering.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bah! I guess my trusty "Micro-CAN" cable isn't compatible with the Treg. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does my 2013 Hybrid come with heated steering wheel? (no manual)
Loving the heated seats, steering wheel would be gravy! :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yes, the Hybrid has heated wheel.

I noticed the other day that when the car is off for a short period of time, the wheel comes back on when you turn the car back on.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yes, the 3.0 seems to eat oil.

With regards to the heated wheel, I am always putting my laptop in the trunk area and I find that when I do that, the Nav unit seems to pre-wake so it is ready very quickly after getting in the front seat.

If I just get in the front and start the car it takes almost a minute sometime for the Nav to be ready to go to the climate screen, but when I open the boot first, it is ready in about 15 sec after starting the car. It's probably the same time over all, though. But it's nice that it does the pre-boot before even turning the car on.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'd like to know if there is a way to get it to remember the setting like the seats too.
your driver's seat stays in memory...the other three heated seat controls turn off when you shut down the car. you need to re-set them.

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
945 Posts
Used 2013 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid Features & Specs | Edmunds

Hit Climate their should be a rectangle with a wheel with waves coming off it. This article says yes. Does yur 3.0 use a quart every 2 k of oil?

Wow, 5 quarts over 10,000 miles of driving? That's wrong.

My 3.0 TDI uses ALMOST 3/4 to 1 quart over 10,000 miles, including about 2000 miles towing a 3000 pound travel trailer. It has done this since new.

Currently 41,600 miles on the ODO.

I was concerned at first, but I'm OK with it now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts