Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The headrest in my Touareg is pretty far forward for me, to that point that I feel the need to slouch a little and sometimes it still bops me in the back of the head when going over a bump.

One factor here is that I like to adjust my seat back so that it's probably more upright than average, however this in turn moves the headrest more forward since it's fixed to the seat back and doesn't adjust relative to the seat back angle.

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions on how to move the headrest back, or whether I can buy another headrest that adjusts fore and aft like the one in my Audi.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,886 Posts
have you tried pressing the "button" on the side of the headrest to allow it to tilt back?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you tried pressing the "button" on the side of the headrest to allow it to tilt back?
Yep. I have the regular Sport trim with the less expensive leatherette seats. Pressing the button on the headrest appears to only allow the headrest to be adjusted up or down, not forward/backward or tilted.

So I'm wondering if there's a Touareg headrest I can buy that pops right in the same seat back holes but adjusts forward/backward.

·
Registered
481 Posts
That picture looks to be from a Tiguan or something else. My '12 Hybrid has a hard back to the headrest. The button is in about the same spot as the photo above. When pushed it allows the headrest to move up, down or straight forward or back. It does not tilt. I also sit with my seat fairly vertical compared to many and I find that depending on the time of day and how I'm feeling, I need to move it forward or back. Also of note, you do not need to press the button to move it forward, only when moving it back. I think that sometimes mine gets accidentally pushed forward much like the infamous seat moving issue.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
We had that problem on a car.

I just pulled the headrest out and turned it around. Problem solved!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We had that problem on a car.

I just pulled the headrest out and turned it around. Problem solved!
I'll take a look at this, but I'm concerned that may be unsafe. The headrest serves a very important function of supporting your head in the event of a rear end collision and prevents a variety of neck injuries that can be quite painful for life. My understanding is that research has shown the headrest should be no more than 2" behind your head when at rest. I actually think there's a new law that forces manufacturers to design headrests to conform to this.

By flipping the headrest around, I'm concerned you're significantly diminishing the support it's designed to provide.

Does anyone know if the more adjustable headrest from the upgraded leather seats fits in the leatherette seat back holes?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Are you really really sure that the button on THE SIDE of the headrest doesn't work? I have the same model as you albeit diesel and pressing this button shoots the headrest forward. If it is already forward then press it again while pushing it back.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to post a picture of your headrest. Then we are all on the same page :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'll take a look at this, but I'm concerned that may be unsafe. The headrest serves a very important function of supporting your head in the event of a rear end collision and prevents a variety of neck injuries that can be quite painful for life. My understanding is that research has shown the headrest should be no more than 2" behind your head when at rest. I actually think there's a new law that forces manufacturers to design headrests to conform to this.

By flipping the headrest around, I'm concerned you're significantly diminishing the support it's designed to provide.
I agree which is why I checked the clearance and the reversed headrest is fine for my wife whose car it is, but I switch it round again if I drive that car

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
962 Posts
Same problem on my 2013 TDI

I would prefer a more upright seatback position. I have compromised by tilting it back a bit so my head doesn't hit. I am short (5'5") and the "laid back" seatback position sucks for reach and visibility.

The stock headrest is $400.00 new. For used headrests, the old Touareg colors don't match, and the fore aft adjustable version is available only in leather. (I checked eBay for a year but they still want $200 for a used one.)

I tried reversing the headrest (installing backwards) , but it is unsafe. No support in an accident, whiplash or worse if you are rear ended. It is not designed to protect backwards.

I am thinking of maybe bending the steel headrest posts. I have my headrest all the way down (short driver). I can bend them accurately in a vise at work without damaging the post finish, but I worry about weakening posts by doing this. I only need 1/2 -3/4 inch more clearance and I would be able to tilt the seatback more upright, and still have safety.

Worst case, if it doesn't work, I swap from passenger to driver side. I am the only driver. Plan on keeping it 10 years, so making it perfect is my plan.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Other VWs probably have the same post spacing. Just a thought.

I wouldn't bend the posts myself - likely weaken them as you mentioned.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I would definitely NOT try to bend the tubes unless you have a proper tube bender and a flexible insert to correctly fill the tube so it doesn't suddenly flatten and even then I think I'd avoid that solution.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yeah, don't bend.

Perhaps have a different VW headrest re skinned with your existing leather so it matches 100%? A good upholstery shop could do that for you in both sides. They might have to either rip seams or add volume, but worth a conversation at least. Based on work I have seen done (not me I do no upholstery personally), I would have every confidence that the end product would look "like it came that way."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.