Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The drivers side headlight (low beam) stopped working but the passenger side (low beam) was working. I bought two new H7 headlights for my 2004 Touareg VW V6 . I Replaced the drivers side ( which was already not working) even though I replaced it with a new bulb it still didn't work. Just to be sure the bulbs we're good I put in a new one on the passenger side ( which was working) after putting in the new bulb on the passenger side that was working , it now no longer works. Now I don't have my owner's manual but I think maybe I blew a fuse when switching out the bulbs so I need to locate the fuses for my low beams on my 04 VW Touareg .. I know that theres 3 fuse boxes ,one under the hood, one on the left drivers side and the passenger side . I'm just not sure which fuses are for the low beams

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Let's start over.

Driver Side
- it was working, but stopped working after you replaced the WORKING BULB with your new bulb?
- does it still work if you put the original bulb back in?
- are you swapping bulbs while the lights are on and shorting things out in order to blow fuses?

Passenger Side
- does it work with the original working bulb from the driver's side in it?

Do you have a multimeter and\or any electrical understanding in order to test if you're getting power to your headlights?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drivers side : Light was out , bought new H7 lights and replaced the broken one with a new one but still didn't work.

Passenger side : light was working but I replaced the working light with one of the new lights to see if the bulbs we're good. After doing that the new bulb wouldn't work. Put the old light that was working before back in and it stopped working too.

Not sure if I blew a fuse. But I'm not sure which fuses are for the headlights
My brights work but just not the low beams

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
In that case, you're probably not blowing any fuses. Either you broke the original bulb that was working and you have two new duds, or more than likely, you're not making proper connection when you plug everything back it. It's very unlikely that you bought tow bulbs that are crap and that your existing bulb also kicked it at the same time...... I'd reattempt the install very carefully and make sure all the connections are proper. Look at your connectors to make sure there's no crap or krud in them, etc. Are you installing the bulbs properly in the housing\socket?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I did install the bulbs I did turn the car on of course to test them. But ok I'll do it again after work and see what happens. I did connect them properly but I'll definitely redo it

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
In order to replace any of the bulbs you, of course, have to slide the entire headlight assembly out of the car (and back in again when done). It is POSSIBLE the electrical connector block at the back of the tray - the part that stays in the fender - is loose and doesn't get into place to make one or more of the connections.
Take each side out again and look carefully for cracked plastic, misaligned parts, etc. I hit a deer not too long ago with the left front and even the tray the headlight assembly slides on had broken back at the connector. The whole thing had to be replaced ($$$).
Even if you haven't had anything happen perhaps a previous owner cracked the part and didn't replace it. That connector can be a source of this sort of problem although it doesn't really explain why the R side worked until you replaced it and didn't ever again.
It is a puzzle.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
You guys I have good news. Turns out I just needed to use the special tool to turn the headlight back in place
And BOTH headlights (the new ones) work now?

So the idea of something being wrong with the connector behind the headlights was correct - only in this case because you hadn't finished seating the headlight units.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I find it helps to press the headlight in as you turn the tool.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
^^Yes. Listen to the nooby. :D

On the T1, either have a helper help push the light in or lean the side of your body against the headlight, giving it a push inward as you turn the tool.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts