Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my headlights flicker and sometimes the headlight goes out completely for 3 to 5 seconds then comes back on. I get the check lights message in the dash but it goes away when they come back on. They flash on and off constantly. The previous owner wanted to change them but he broke the headlight "gear" while doing so. I have new bulbs and want to try and put them in but I'm not sure if that will help and I also have to get the driver side out somehow. I have the plastic piece with the gear on the end of it. Plastic welding it back on is the only thing I can think of to get it back on but I don't thing it is sting enough to get the headlight out. I'm not sure if new bulbs will help the flickering and shutting off of the headlights. Anyone have these problems before? Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
maybe the light unit is not sitting fully back in the casing, and not getting a full contact, do they flicker under braking or acceleration?

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
Replacing the bulbs should get rid of the flickering and the bulb error message you are getting. When HID's get old, thats what they do.

Try a long needle nose pliers to grab hold of that pin so you can turn it.

Also do a search on here and you may get some pics to help you along the way. (I would but don't have time to look for it now)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Before you do anything, give those pins a squirt of easing oil and leave for 24 hours.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Had the exact same issue. HID flickering and one side went out for 2-3 seconds with the dash alarm. Well changed both bulbs and one side continued to flicker. That side burned a couple of days ago....not happy. Most likely it is the ballast. Just ordered aftermarket HID from DDM and will do the swap ASAP

·
Supreme Member
2,372 Posts
The previous owner wanted to change them but he broke the headlight "gear" while doing so.
So did he get new bulbs in there?

If so, changing the bulbs will obviously not fix it. When I replaced my headlights, I broke the nipple thing on BOTH headlights, but luckily it was when I was done and putting the housings back in. Vice grips should be able to grab whatever is left and let you turn it (it did for me). And every now and then I just push on the headlight lens to make sure it's sitting in there nicely :)

If he wasn't able to replace the headlights, doing so should solve the flickering problem. Again, vice grips worked for me!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've soaked it in penetrating oil 3 times today so far. I ordered new bulbs and I'm planning on putting them in soon. I'm gonna use vice grips or long needle nose pliers to turn the gear. I'm going to soak it for awhile. I hope this fixes both lights or I am going to try new ballasts

·
Banned
7,167 Posts

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
volkswagendude said:
As the light flickers try two things.

1st step. Step out ASAP, and punch it. If the flickering stops, it's not your bulbs.

2nd step. When your lights start to flicker again, switch to high beam, and step out ASAP. If you observe the high beam halogen bulb flickering along with the HID bulb, then the rest is easy to figure out. It's not your ballast or bulb.

Good luck
Ummm...if he has HID's the high beam and low beam use the same bulb...the halogen inside is the passing bulb only, unless it has been vagged for the 6 light salute.

·
Banned
7,167 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I changed the bulbs and no more flickering. I couldn't get a pair of vice grips on the gear. I had to put the end of a flat head screw driver on it and beat it with a hammer. Sketchy at best but it got the job done.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have used pressure pliers for a couple years just adjust them to grip the nipple, and the flickering has always been a telltale signed of bulbs dying, if they start turning off it is time to change cos any day they will die.

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
When removing or inserting the headlights, before twisting the mechanism, apply prssure on the headlight (push it in) It will relieve pressure on the mechanism so it will not brake as easily

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
x2 on the push in as you turn the release.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Where are the connections for the lights? I checked under the hood but could not find them. Is there a special way to get to them? Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
7,167 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had the same problem.
The connector which is fixed in a plastic support didn enter far enough in the light block.
Connector removed and connected straight in the light, problem solved.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Is it hard to remove the whole light assembly? I thought I saw a thread on that somewhere on here. I'll do a search. Thanks for the info all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts