Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I had an early morning encounter with a Guinea Fowl that decided it wanted to cross the road I was driving on at about 140kph.

The bird impacted the area around the headlight washer and headlight itself. As you can see from the attached pic, the shock of the impact knocked one of the trim rings around one of the lamps off and it is now lying loose

As testament to the force of the impact (not easy to see on the pic) the bottom edge of the lens is cracked and must have flexed enough to let in a couple of small feathers. Try as hard as I like I can't force it open to get a tool in to remove feathers or replace the trim ring on the headlamp.

Is there any way to get a human hand in there to try and fix this or am I looking at a vey expensive part replacement?

Or does anyone with "building a shop in a bottle skills" have any ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I fear your guinea fowl has stuffed you!

Some people have "cooked" the headlight in an oven to warm it up enough to soften the sealant to be able to cut away the clear outer polycarbonate[?] covering, fiddled about doing whatever, and then carefully resealed it with a suitable gunk like, I think, Sikaflex.

Try using the Search facility - I think they may have been painting part of the housing black.

·
Registered
7 Posts
we just replaced a lowbeam head light easily after finding a YouTube video. Showed how to take the entire light out so I imagine you can find something on you tube that will help out before you spend a bunch to a mechanic. Check it out. Good luck.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Was that the actual light holder unit in the headlight or just the bulb you replaced?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.