Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! First post here, but I've gotten so much good info from these forums so I hope someone may be able to help on this one: I've got a 2005 V8, best vehicle I've owned honestly. Last week my "check headlight" sensor came on, upon closer inspection my driver side headlight is somehow messing up. The Treg has HID lamps - when I fire the car up, both headlights work. After a few short seconds, the driver side regular beam turns orange (usually a blue tint) then goes out shortly after that. It may come back on intermittently for a few seconds but once it's orange it doesn't go back to full "blue" brightness, and it stays off for the most part. I'll be taking the headlight assembly out tonight or tomorrow to see if I can find any obvious solutions (exposed wire that's shorting out maybe?). I've talked with the dealer and a third-party Euro repair shop and they seem to think it's the ballast, which isn't the cheapest of repairs - although it's an 11 year old car at his point so I'm not super upset that it has happened. I've not taken it into the dealer to be looked at quite yet. Hoping someone has had this issue and/or is aware of the problem/solution. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tristan

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
HID bulbs turn orange or pink when they are failing. Swap the bulbs left and right to see if the problem follows the bulb (I bet it does). If so, replace BOTH bulbs with genuine Phillips or Osram D1S bulbs. If the problem does not follow the bulbs, then take a look at the ballasts.

Reactions: tfrayser

·
Registered
22 Posts
HID bulbs turn orange or pink when they are failing. Swap the bulbs left and right to see if the problem follows the bulb (I bet it does). If so, replace BOTH bulbs with genuine Phillips or Osram D1S bulbs. If the problem does not follow the bulbs, then take a look at the ballasts.

I'm about 95% sure that I need a new ballast on mine. How do I tell if one will work for my treg and not a fake.

Also for the op here's a link for new bulbs I bought and work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480KP6M

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Maybe I missed it in the description, but I would like to have seen confirmation these bulbs are 4300 Kelvin, the OEM color/colour.

If it is the bulb, do replace the pair together - the bulbs age and the output changes.

Do you know how to take the headlight unit out?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seemed to be the bulb. Such a relief hahah, gonna order two new ones tonight and hopefully have it up and going by the weekend. Thanks Scuba!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My passenger side head lamp was acting up so I bought two Chinese made replacement bulbs that burned out right away -- or so I thought. We were going to leave for a hockey game and my wife decided to give the assembly a good tap before getting in the vehicle. The light came back on. Somehow, the connection was not working properly. I don't know what to do about that. I'm interested in your post because I have the same problem and replacement bulbs are $175.00. :(

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Are you sure you have locked the headlights back in properly?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Cunning!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nooby ... thanks for the responses, and I certainly don't want to circumvent the original post. But I have removed and replaced the assembly to the best of my ability. Is it inserted correctly? I can only say 'maybe'??. I did put a bit of bicycle grease on the runners on the bottom of the assembly to make removal and insertion much easier.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Did you hear the CLICK when you twisted the tool to lock the headlight units into each "bucket"?

If so, they're in.

If not, then they may slide forward an inch or two to the spring clip stop under braking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright so I've installed the new bulbs and all seems to be working as usual, aside from one minor thing - the lamp on the right side of the picture (inner-most lamp within the assembly) doesn't seem to come on at all. Anyone familiar with what type of bulb this is? Doesn't seem to be HID on the other side, and it's only the light that comes on when I pull the headlamp lever towards me. Thanks for any insight! Hopefully I've uploaded the pic correctly hah.

Tristan

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nooby... I did hear a click (maybe). We haven't had problems since the wife gave the assembly a nudge.

Tfray... I think that inner lens furthest to the right in the picture is the high beam light. Do your high beams come on or does it still not work? I may be misunderstanding the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is the halogen passing high beam. It only works when you pull the headlight lever and turns off when you release the lever. Seems to be working as it should....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Only thing I didn't mention is that I had that lever pulled back when I took that picture - so the driver side (US) was working properly while this one had no reaction from that lens. Cunning - high beams work (push the lever forward), they come from the main lens - just a brighter light than regular beams.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts