Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I have a problem with one of my headlights(driver side). Couple days ago it started to flickering then now there is no light except flashing the headlight (when I pull the lever towards me). I just replaced the ballast but should I do extra thing after replacing it or the problem comes from different source? I will really appreciate your help since I can't drive my car at night time :(

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
First, are you sure the headlight unit is correctly seated back in its "bucket"?

Trying pressing it in with your hands to see if the flickering stops.

If it does, remove the unit and carefully reseat it.

Have you tried swapping the bulbs over to see if the same thing happens?

Xenon bulbs need replacing every few years anyway. If you buy new ones do make sure you get best quality like Philips or Osram GENUINE 4300 Kelvin bulbs. There are a lot of fakes on the www.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply, noobytoogy! I checked and headlight unit is correctly seated. I swapped the bulb with passenger side's one, and it worked! It is weird that only flash highbeam works, not regular high beam.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I've reached the limit of my electrical knowledge here as I think the US headlights may be configured differently to the UK ones!

So I hope others might chime in now . . .

But to recap:

Are BOTH low beam [dipped] headlights now working okay?

Are BOTH high beam [main beam] headlights not working EXCEPT flash to pass?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, low beam and high beam headlights are working when I swapped to right side. But on driver side, they don't work except flash to pass. It is weird. When I push the lever forward, high beam doesn't work but it works when I pull the lever towards me. Are they not same bubs?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Like I said, your US headlights may be of a different format to our UK ones.

I hope a US owner will now help . . . !

·
Registered
147 Posts
Unplug the socket and check the pins for corrosion at housing and at the bulbs. Also check inside the house for any pinched or damaged wires. Easier to do with the housing out of vehicle and on the workbench.

·
Registered
23 Posts
From personal experience:

1.Open up both headlights and try to insulate every wire you see as far as you can see with electrical tape. It's a known issue on the headlights with insulation falling apart from the heat over the years.
2.Check for corrosion and clean if necessary on both the headlight plug and the socket that is in the headlight mounting bucket.
3.Unplug the headlight harness, which is the bunch of wires with one side having the socket where the headlight is plugged into, and the other is plugged in lower to the main harness....the whole harness is ~12-16" long and suffers from the same exact issue as the wiring inside the headlight assembly...insulate everything you see or order new ones @ ~$50 a pop.
4.Will bet you will find a dead fuse in the interior compartment.Don't remember which side L or R has the fuse for the headlight, check schematics....Replace it if dead after doing the above.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts