Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have a 2006 Vw touareg V6 TDI 7LA and my drivers side xenon bulb stopped working after I exited the car wash this morning.

I don’t want to pay a heavy diagnostic fee at my dealer and I’d appreciate some help in getting a solution!
So far I found out that;
The indicators still work on the lights
The motors in the lights do the swivel action when starting up and both high beam shutter motors still work as usual so I know the control units still work
I originally thought water got into the headlight unit but so far there’s no evidence to suggest that it did because I checked.

The passenger light works as normal, and I’m wondering is it a ballister / bulb or a loose connection somewhere? Or would it be a whole entire headlight assembly replacement?
Any suggestions?

I get the following warnings when I turn the lights on after a few seconds

PLEASE CHECK LIGHTS

and

AFS No function vechile wallet!

If the lights are turned off then there is no errors and it seems to drive fine but once I turn the lights on then those two errors come up followed by the famous light

Please someone help out so I can get it into repair without having to go through the hefty dealership diagnostic fee bullshit

· Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,871 Posts
Just welcomed ya' in your other thread and didn't see this one right away.
Could be a bulb, a ballast, or wiring harness for the headlight ass'y.
Only way to know is to check each. Since you have a working side you could swap the bulbs, then ballast if that doesn't work. If the problem stays on the same headlight then check the wiring harness.

· Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,871 Posts
This should help. Hopefully you have the tool you need that they mention.

· Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,871 Posts
I tried to remove the headlight and the light turned back on!
What would that be? I now know the bulb isn’t defective nor is the ballast. Would it be the wiring harness that needs fixing?
Hard to really say. Might want to inspect it to be sure.

· Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,871 Posts
How do I inspect?
Watch the video below. I'm wondering if you headlight ass'y might not have been seated all the way as well. Just a thought if all the wiring looks good.

Reactions: Singh

· Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,420 Posts
issue with those headlights and how they are secured, the design could be better.
As the headlight is pushed in to lock position it also brings the male female connector into place, it's behind the headlight, the lock doesn't secure this connection properly as the plastic parts, frame age.
I would lock the headlight properly ie push it in and turn the bolt thingy to lock and then cable tie the headlight unit with the frame, there are several holes there which you can use.
Whilst at it check the wiring at the back for cracking, over time the wiring from the connectors can crack and become an issue

Reactions: New2Tregs

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE I FIXED IT

Turns out there is loose wiring in the headlight assembly that randomly causes it to go out

I left it overnight and after I removed and replaced each bulb onto the other sides it fixed itself when I pushed it back in

· Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,871 Posts
UPDATE I FIXED IT

Turns out there is loose wiring in the headlight assembly that randomly causes it to go out

I left it overnight and after I removed and replaced each bulb onto the other sides it fixed itself when I pushed it back in
Was there any overheated looking wiring insulation or did it all look good?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts