Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2006 Touareg V8. My passenger side headlight started losing it's white color and turning purplish. I assumed this meant it was time for a new bulb. I ordered up the bulbs and installed the driver's side with no problems and everything worked great! I changed out the passenger side and popped the housing back in and the light still doesn't work. I thought I had a bad bulb but I already sent it back and got a new one and still no luck. The turn signal works fine so I know the housing is powered up and tight enough. Any suggestions? Your help is greatly appreciated and I love this forum!

Jeff

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not an expert by any means so this is a shot in the dark. If the turn signal works and you tried multiple bulbs, that might mean its the ballast that drives the headlight that is going bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would make sense ljn. I know you're not an expert, but do you happen to know if that would show a code on a diagnostics test? Thanks for your quick response and help.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
The ballast and bulb are one complete unit on the Touareg. You are getting bulbs with the big metal box attached to it???

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry, I wrote ballast but was thinking control module. Did you make sure the headlight is fully reseated back in place? I changed my bulbs about a month ago and had the driver's side flicker on me (which is how I originally knew they were going bad) - I took the assembly back out and put it back in and it hasn't flickered since. Make sure when you put the assembly back in that you hear that god awful snap to make sure they are locked back in place.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Another thought, although I would think the whole headlight including turn signal wouldn't work but maybe the fuse?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, they are DS1. It's definitely seated in place correctly and I'll check the fuse but it WAS working before the change. I might just have to open my wallet and bring it to the dealer. I do have an aftermarket warranty with a $100 deductible. Hope they're easy to work with and actually cover it! Paid $2500 for it! Thanks for your suggestions.

Jeff

·
Registered
142 Posts
If the parking lights and turn signals are working fine, but you do not have HID or high beam to pass, it is almost certainly a bad control unit. It is a rectangular aluminum box mounted on the underside of the headlight assembly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Try switching the control unit from the functioning headlight to the non functioning one to see if it works. If it does, you know that is your problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm having issues with my drivers headlight (bi-xenon/hid) blowing fuses. I will say that the parking lights (orange) and hi-beams work fine when the fuse is blown so it took me a while to figure out it was the fuse. But now it keeps blowing fuses, usually shortly after I use the hi-beams (pushing the tirn signal indicator forward rather than pulling back).

I've read quite a few threads and maybe I'm missing something but I can't seem to find a solution. I have a 2004 with only 65k and I'm the original owner. Yeah sometimes it's good to have a company car! Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts