Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI ALL! Recently got a 2004 V8 TREG and aside from the headlights I love it! I'm reading a lot of posts saying a halogen downgrade can't be done. Now I am not understanding.... If Halogen headlights and pigtail wire was an available "BASE" / "STANDARD" option...... then why... cannot a new halogen housing and connecting wire be installed and WORK!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
It can work, it is just that nobody has done it.

If you look at the "convert standard to hid light" threads, you will find you that you need to rewire the plug that goes into the back of the light, run two new wires that are missing from the light to the controller next to the steering wheel, and recode the comfort control module.

So, reverse it. You don't need to remove the two wires, you will just unhook them. So that part is easy.

Then you will have to recode the controller and you will have to rewire the plug that goes into the back of the headlight.

In theory, that should give you working standard headlights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found standard headlight housings and short wire harnesses for "w/o HID" I imagine the short harnesses already dont have the wiring for hid.... I truly dont care if the dash tells me to check the lights.... I just want the lights to come on when I turn them on... I only paid $2000 for the truck I cant see spending $1400+ on new HID housings wiring harnesses control modules ballast and bulbs lol

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Just check your wiring diagrams. I am not 100% sure that you can just swap the wiring harness. I am actually pretty sure that you have to move a couple of the wires around.

VW did not want to make the swap from standard to hid too easy, which is really BS since you would still have to run two new wires, even if everything else was wired identical.

So, you get bit by this nonsense when you go back from hid to standard.

But, if you can read automotive wiring diagrams, it should not be too hard to figure you the changes needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now if only I could find "standard / halogen" wiring diagrams.... lol maybe I can buy a maintenance manual somewhere

1 - 5 of 5 Posts