Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have changed both bulbs on the right side of the rear of the car (both the light on the trunk itself as well as on the brake light enclosure on the actual car. But get strange behavior, including the left side of the car being constant.

Do I for some reason need to use OEM VW bulbs instead of Sylvania 7225 and Sylvania 7506 bulbs?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have installed my bulbs the wrong way (it is easy to do) and the result will be super bright parking light and dim brake light (note: I am not talking about wrong bulb, but right bulb in socket turned around so that the wrong pin is on at the bottom versus top). I would pull them and double check the position of the pins. If everything is ok, you probably purchased a bad batch of bulbs or something??

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will take a look today to confirm, but as I remember the bulbs can only fit in ONE orientation inside the socket. You line up the two dots on bulbs with the groove on the socket, so it only fits in mine orientation and can't be incorrectly installed. But I will take a look.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes, it is a funny bulb but it is possible to instal a new one the wrong way round!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Check the instillation of the bulbs, if good you have wires broken and shorting together at the trunk hinge, good luck it's a f'in pain in the rear to fix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
If it was operating normally before you've likely either installed the wrong bulbs in wrong locations, or they are incorrectly installed. As mentioned before its easy to make a mistake installing them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, bulbs are installed properly but still won't light up!! Second video update. I am stumped:

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
If you don't mind pulling out all 4 rear tail lights... plug in the left side lights into the right side plugs (and vice versa of course). Then re-run your tests. If they still do the same thing, then it is your wiring / controller that is to blame.

If the lights do the same thing but the problem switches sides... then it is either the bulbs or the lights themselves to blame.

If they work perfectly when reversed, and then the problem reoccurs when the lights are put back on the original side... the best thing to do is to just drive the **** off the side of a cliff and be done with it. (lolz. /joke)

I think that you (most likely) have a broke wire or a short in the wiring harness. As stared above, it is often near the hinge. It is always a major pain to find and fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts