Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 V8 Touareg with no after market additions and 90k miles, original owner. Went down to my car after work and placed key in the ignition, instrument panel lights up, radio works with no loss in sound, all interior lights are as bright as usual however there is no response when the key is turned to start. No clicking, no ticking, no loss in interior light brightness or sound from radio. Have tried jumping and same response. This is the second time this has occurred to me with this vehicle. The first time I had it towed to my local shop and the VW expert was on vacation for a few days while the car sat. Upon his return he went to the car and it immediately started. I had them hold on to the car for a few extra days to see if they could reproduce the issue with zero luck. Fast forward a few months and I am back into the same position.

Was down at lunch for a smoke break today and was seated in the driver seat with door open. Keys were on the center console but could hear an audible ticking sound coming from the dashboard. Rapid ticking about 4-5 in a row then a pause for a few seconds and then another round of ticking.

Battery is less than 1 year old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It might be a battery in the key fob issue, or just a failure in the key fob itself. If the ignition module does not get the correct signal from the key fob it will not start.

Good luck

Cya

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The ticking noise you describe can be the ventilation controls adjusting the air flow. Make sure the a/c system AND fan is switched off completely before you start listening for noises... ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 V6, and so far I has been twice in the same situation: key on the ignition but no fire, and the radio, lights, horn, and headlights working. But after several tries moving back and for the key, the motor finally fires, and the battery voltage is completely normal, so definitely have nothing to do with the battery.
It could be like EARL97850 said, the battery on the Key is low. But on both occasions when this happen I remember having miss fire at the beginning of that particular ride, and basically it (the miss fire) happen when I turn the key and move the Touareg immediately without giving time to settle the RPM’s ( I was in a hurry), so to me the computer get some sort of bad process and never finish right when you finish your ride, so when it comes back to start again, it doesn’t work and needs to be reset, and maybe like in my very old Ford Windsart 95, you need to cycle the key more than 10 times to reset the computer if you need so.
I hope it help ....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an 06 V8 and this has happened to me a few times. I finally realized that I was not depressing the brake pedal while cranking. The pedal must be depressed in order to start vehicle. Shot in the dark. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Albs--My situation is IDENTICAL to yours. Same year and mileage on car, and have buttons on door to open. Was having problems with them and the Tech thought it might be a KESSY module, but didn't replace it. Then I've been having this problem. Did you ever solve the problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same issue this morning with my vehicle. I heard all kinds of relays clicking under the dash as I tried to crank the first time. Low battery on your key shouldn't be the issue. I tried both of my keys anyways, if the battery is low they car will not detect it for the keyless start (push start) option. But it should still be able to use the actual manual key ignition switch. It would be around 8 hrs until I get home and check on it again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As suspected.... Just had to reset the computer (ECU). KESSY failure. I had all the same symptoms. I disconnected the battery (make sure you have the proper tools for it and have some common sense when working around an electrical area), for about 30 mins. Plugged it back in, car started right away. No issues in a week so far.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As suspected.... Just had to reset the computer (ECU). KESSY failure. I had all the same symptoms. I disconnected the battery (make sure you have the proper tools for it and have some common sense when working around an electrical area), for about 30 mins. Plugged it back in, car started right away. No issues in a week so far.
This used to work for me all the time. I've been disconnecting the battery for about a year. Then finally the other day, my kessy finally gave out for good. I'm stuck without a truck until I can pay for VW to do the repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
EndSupremacy did you fix the issue? I have the same problem in my Treg, has happened to me two times since I bought it in last November 2013. I have been fixing the problem disconnecting the battery, but my concern is for how long can I be doing this?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
24 Posts
So.... I temporarily fixed the issue for a few months when I posted that I disconnected the battery and it got fixed. It worked for about a month or so and started to do it again. I got tired of disconnecting the battery, since I have been taking the seat out and I took it to the dealer. After a bunch of BS, and me getting aggravated at them for not finding anything. They did something, replaced something, for like $250 and called it good. A week later was the same thing. I took it back and they said this time it was "low battery" on my key fob. Which is BS, since I replaced them on both my keys.. and even my valet key wouldn't start it. Anyways, after that, it "worked" for a couple of years until now. Around the same time this got "fixed" I bought another car, so I haven't driven the T-reg very much in the last 2 years. Around 5k miles later that's when it happened again.

Before I take it to the ****ty maintenance department of the VW dealership here in Huntsville AL, I plan to get a V-Checker (Code Scanner) or an ODB-USB cable adapter and use VCDS to see if I can find the problem, and reset to see if that works. So, I will post more on this later.

If anyone has any input on why this is happening and how it got actually fixed, please elaborate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a 2004 V8 and around 90,000 started having the battery drain problem. After about 1 year of dealing with it, finally found that the keyless entry system module in the driver's door was creating a drain on the battery randomly and pulling 1.4 amps. This is not the same module as the KESSY module that a lot of people talk about, and often when replaced doesn't solve the problem. It was discovered by just sheer luck when the VW tech had a meter on the system. Prior efforts over the year never showed the drain even when it was metered for 24 hours. The part was going to cost with installation around $800, and that was just for the 1 door. There's one of these in each of the 4 doors. There is only 1 KESSY module in the vehicle. So given the issue, I traded it in on a 2012 Touareg and have enjoyed it greatly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Which battery was it draining? The car battery?... If I disconnect the car battery and connect it back up, it cranks on.

I have honestly have thought about trading it in. Lol. 100k miles. 2007. I think it's time to upgrade. But being an aviation electrician/mechanic, it pisses me off and I need to find out what the problem is and how to fix it. =\

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes the car battery. My battery was under the driver's seat. I never tried the disconnect thing since the battery was being drained.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The issue you had seems different from mine. You could've probably jumped the car and would have started. My battery is charged, and I have taken the seat out multiple times before because I didn't want to be stranded when I started having the issue. Before I disconnect it this time, I want to read the codes and see if resetting them, if they are immobilizer related, would fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had the same problem. Went through the net and haven't found an answer and since I've seen your forum I will share my solution.

after hours and various mechanics I've found a problem in a burned fuse. it's a white 25 (not sure if you have the same), replaced it and the car starts normally. i did get a couple of warning lights light esp and driving gear but they all switch off after 30s of driving. I hope it helps!

I probably won't come back and check the messages or posts so good luck to all of you! just register to share the solution.

have fun!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It's always nice when someone posts a solution to a problem even if you only intend it to be your only post and therefore may not see this "Thank you"!

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanx for participators above

I wonaa ask wetdreamonwheels if he know which part they change when it repaired

i have a same problem from yesterday. i disconnect a battery for less than 60s but when i parked for 2 hrs and come . same issue again
is the time of disconnecting is a factor in this case

1 - 20 of 29 Posts