Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First my apologies if this has already been discussed: I have searched found nothing on this specific issue.

I noticed resistance raising my rear hatch on my 2008, to the point where I thought I needed struts. However there was also a subtle sound that was not there on my 2007. I inspected and found the trunk wire loom hinge cover had disintegrated exposing the wiring to the body of the Touareg. Opening and closing was pushing and pulling on the wires, wearing a hole in my paint (slightly visible in picture).

The photo below shows the part of the cover that broke off (hard to take a picture of) on the back side of the back glass hinge. I zip tied the wiring tightly against the hinge and now the trunk lid is easy to open and doesn't make any noise.

The photo with the back portion of the cover still in place is from my 2007. This one is just starting to fail and needs to be addressed.

I have no current hinge wiring issues, but sure would have had this not been found and still might later on from this abuse.

Might want to take a few moments to check yours out. I thought of getting a new cover, but not sure install is that easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Known issue and the wires here can break.

Did you inspect them before applying the ziptie?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, there was wear, but not thru the exterior rubber or insulation..at least as far as I could tell. Everything works also. I believe the rear washer tube is also involved in this bundle...it took the blunt of the chafing but also ok. The paint damage was seen upon detailing several years ago, but as it looked like a rock chip I didn't think to look for chafing.

I have read or this area being an issue, but seems like where this was visible the others have reported as internal (just inside headliner centimeters away?). I wondered if this could be the cause of such damage as it pulls at the loom every time the hinge is actuated?

In any event the OEM cover / guard is rubbish and will be also zip tied on my 2007 prior to its disintegration.

I hope this is an issue I can strike off my list.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I just threw the little fiddly covers in the "un-necessary parts" bin in the garage!

The wires stayed well up in the main cover of their own accord.

No cover, no ties, no pull.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts