Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering, where I live there is no mandatory emissions check. I see truck diesel here that are chip tuned to give a big cloud of black smoke when they floor it. In my opinion a Touareg TDI that has not been fixed is a million times cleaner than one of those trucks. As there are a lot a negative side effects to the Diesel scandal fix, I was wondering if anyone has changed a fixed TDI back to the original set up and if yes, how difficult is it to do that?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have a 2016 TDI with the fix and I find it performs almost the same as before. The main difference is tranny shift points are much longer meaning they hold the lower gear to rev the engine when cold to make it warm up faster. Once it warms up to temp it performs the same. I see no advantage in trying to restore the original settings. Car has the same pick up and handles towing the same. I am satisfied with the performance.
What is your issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My main issues are with performance and DEF consumption. When pulling a trailer I notice it is less powerful that the BMW X5 35d I had before the Touareg, while on paper they have the same power and torque. Uphill it is not as strong as the BMW. Also, the DEF consumption is horrible. On an uphill stretch when going camping of 60 miles and climbing from 4000 to 7000 feet the remaining DEF range dropped from 600 to 150 miles. The BMW has a much smaller DEF tank and I never needed to refill it between oil services, usually only once in 20,000 miles or so and that included a considerable amount of pulling a trailer to go camping.
This is not to say that I would like the BMW back, I really love the VW, I was just wondering if these issues could be fixed by reversing the Diesel scandal fix.

·
Super Moderator
9,492 Posts
They are purposely using more DEF because of the fix. Pre fix it was never using enough since most of the stuff was basically turned off while driving. I can't explain the BMW situation since I don't know how they were handling things on their end. I think they were all a little guilty of cheating on some level.

·
Registered
697 Posts
You could, but you would lose your Dieselgate warranty. I recommend you get your TCM reflashed to original settings and you'll probably be happy (warranty stays intact). The DEF consumption on the other hand, is another subject. On the Audi boards, a member posted his dealer said there's another software flash available for the excessive DEF consumption. I haven't seen anything anywhere else talking about it though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You could, but you would lose your Dieselgate warranty. I recommend you get your TCM reflashed to original settings and you'll probably be happy (warranty stays intact). The DEF consumption on the other hand, is another subject. On the Audi boards, a member posted his dealer said there's another software flash available for the excessive DEF consumption. I haven't seen anything anywhere else talking about it though.

Who
does TCM flashes? I was planning to use Malone for Ecu once I hit the 6 month mark but I haven’t seen a TCU tune by them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
672 Posts
Shortly after purchasing my 2015 TDI, I got a Malone stage 2 tune with DPF/SCR/DEF delete, and the yrktreg TCM re-flash.

Runs amazing, zero DEF consumption or issues, tons of power, lots of smiles.

I personally am not too worried about the extended warranty, on the off chance that something happens, I'll deal with it at the time.

Reactions: gerryo619

·
Registered
270 Posts
Tuned and Deleted will blow some smoke, but its not like rolling coal.. but if your towing, esp at high altitude, I'd suggest deleting everything, even the cat.. its gonna make the EGT limiter basically unreachable when your cruising up the side of a mountain with a trailer behind you.

I voided my warranty within 300 miles of getting fixed, but I did get a whole laundry list of things fixed under warranty first.. make sure you do a thorough inspection on everything before you do it, it was literally on the lift to do the delete when I found the rear main was leaking after dropping the belly pans, drove it to Audi and they had it for 3 weeks while they pulled the engine and fixed it.. got it back, put a few hundred miles on it to make sure everything was straight then did the deed.

·
Registered
834 Posts
My main issues are with performance and DEF consumption. When pulling a trailer I notice it is less powerful that the BMW X5 35d I had before the Touareg, while on paper they have the same power and torque. Uphill it is not as strong as the BMW. Also, the DEF consumption is horrible. On an uphill stretch when going camping of 60 miles and climbing from 4000 to 7000 feet the remaining DEF range dropped from 600 to 150 miles. The BMW has a much smaller DEF tank and I never needed to refill it between oil services, usually only once in 20,000 miles or so and that included a considerable amount of pulling a trailer to go camping.
This is not to say that I would like the BMW back, I really love the VW, I was just wondering if these issues could be fixed by reversing the Diesel scandal fix.
BMW intentionally made the x5 35d fast.. just like Audi did w/ the q3 3.0 TDI. The BMW 35d is rated to tow over 2k lbs less than the Volkswagen is.

Good luck getting ahold of him these days

·
Registered
892 Posts
I don't go up mountain passes,but tow some (boats) and I have never had to add DEF fluid between oil changes. I also don't drag race much either.lol I think if you drive aggressively you will use more ad blue.
I don't care what diesel you have they use DEF ,it;s just a part of the emissions system. BTW the stuff is cheap.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've towed across Kansas and had DEF warning come up with 1200 mile warning.. 300 miles later I was down to a 200 mile warning.. When your getting 13-15mpg your consuming it very quickly regardless.. unfixed it used about 1.5% DEF to Diesel, fixed it uses about 2.5% DEF to Diesel.. so fixed the consumption nearly doubled.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Frank914
Have you checked your air cleaner element a clogged or dirty element can have a dramatic effect on fuel consumption install a new element and see how that goes a diesel needs plenty of free flowing air to give best power and economy
cheers baztreg
I am just wondering, where I live there is no mandatory emissions check. I see truck diesel here that are chip tuned to give a big cloud of black smoke when they floor it. In my opinion a Touareg TDI that has not been fixed is a million times cleaner than one of those trucks. As there are a lot a negative side effects to the Diesel scandal fix, I was wondering if anyone has changed a fixed TDI back to the original set up and if yes, how difficult is it to do that?
Those vehicles that throw out great clouds of black smoke are been overfueled whick in the long term detrime tal to the life of the engine and the economy side of the equation not to mention the pollution

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have no idea why you would spend the time and money reversing the fix? I haven’t heard any real negatives that have come up that aren’t covered under the extended warranty. I got a 2011 Touareg with 3 years and 40,000 miles left on the warranty it came with after the fix a year ago. Also, after you spend the time and money to reverse the fix and you have mechanical issues who is gonna fix it and where you gonna find parts? I recommend saving yourself from lots of headaches and possibly wasting thousands unnecessarily and leave a good running car alone.

·
Premium Member
2010 VW Touareg TDI V6 - W/ Air
33 Posts
I am interested in learning more about this as well. Sorry I can’t help much with info. I recently got a 2010 v6 TDI that was fixed. So, I have no idea what it drove like before, but it doesn’t seems to have the power or fuel economy that I heard so much about that made me want the TDI. I had a V6 gas 2004 before and it came close to power and fuel economy to the TDI I currently have. So, I would love to do something to increase these. Anybody have any ideas of anything can simply be done with VAG-COM?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have no idea why you would spend the time and money reversing the fix?
huge improvement in power, reliability and economy are the main reasons for “unfixing” a Touareg. Seemed like a no brainer to me, VW cut me a fat cheque, I took $1600 of that and got a Stage 2 tune with DPF/SCR/EGR deletes, and a DPF delete kit. I still had over $8,000 left over to play with.

I haven’t heard any real negatives that have come up that aren’t covered under the extended warranty.
lol. The “fix” seems to affect performance greatly, weird/harsh shifting, lack of mid-range torque, etc. Higher DEF consumption, ad-blue system failures, and so on. Those are some pretty big negatives to me. Drive a fixed and pre-fix Touareg and report back.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I drove mine unfixed for 4 years, then got it fixed and hated everything about it and promptly deleted and tuned it within a couple hundred miles.. you guys who never drove the original unfixed engine got know idea what you lost.. the warranty is not worth it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts