Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Has anyone on here done up a V10 for off-road? Stripped out some luxury and gone beast mode? Something geared more for off-road? Like Dillon’s done/doing with his T2 V8? (That thing looks great!)
Or maybe something like the truck in the pic below.

Or is it just too cost prohibitive due to parts etc?
Cheers, Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
No. There are next to no off-road aftermarket parts for any Touareg

In any case, there is no need to re-gear a V10 for off-road use. Your nerve will probably run out before the immense torque does. (It can tow 156 tons!!)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I drive a fair bit off-road (about 2,000km in the last 10,000), completely stock--rocky and often muddy terrain. With adjustable air suspension, I never felt the need to do any modifications. I've been thinking of getting protective aluminium plates Touareg Expedition-style to for extra peace of mind on gravel roads but didn't get around to it. Ideally I'd want a snorkel (or two) but as nooby said there aren't any after-market parts and the snorkled Touaregs on google look really ugly (must impede visibility also).
My only problem is my 19" wheels--the massive torque in Low4 on rocks kills the tyres. I've destroyed two tyres with tears in the sidewalls. The fist time I'd reduced tyre pressure to around 38psi and decided to go over a log lying lengthways at the edge of the path (to avoid a 1' wide and rather deep ditch half across the path--this was in early days before I realised advantages of independent suspension) and the gnarly protrusions on the log literally ate away bits of my sidewalls. The second time, I didn't deflate the tyres (44psi on AT tyres) and decided to drive down a rough path which had a lot of rocks washed on it during the rainy season, steep downhill (3,000m to 2,400m) in Low4 and again some rock slashed the sidewall of another relatively new tyre. Now I avoid putting her in Low4 on rocky terrain.
(FYI I have General Grabber ATs--very good in mud but I think very poor sidewall quality compared to a Land Cruiser equipped with Kevlar reinforced Wranglers I occasionally get to drive--or perhaps short sidewalls and massive torque are more to blame than General tyres)

·
Registered
996 Posts
The fist time I'd reduced tyre pressure to around 38psi and decided to go over a log lying lengthways at the edge of the path (to avoid a 1' wide and rather deep ditch half across the path--this was in early days before I realised advantages of independent suspension) and the gnarly protrusions on the log literally ate away bits of my sidewalls. The second time, I didn't deflate the tyres (44psi on AT tyres) and decided to drive down a rough path which had a lot of rocks washed on it during the rainy season, steep downhill (3,000m to 2,400m) in Low4 and again some rock slashed the sidewall of another relatively new tyre. Now I avoid putting her in Low4 on rocky terrain.
38psi is still very high. I aired down to 15psi on my Landcruiser when offroading. Makes a HUGE difference. Of course those were 35" tires though. Not much will help you with low profile tires.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, exactly my problem: low profile tyres need considerably higher pressure (44psi recommended for 255/50 R19 A/Ts, as compared to about 32 for 75% profile tyres, like on most Land Cruisers); anything less than 38 and the sidewalls seem to be really straining. Not sure but I feel on 50 profile, 38 is about as low as one can get.
In Landcruiser (16" rims are standard I think) I've gone as low as 12psi for driving very soft sand with wonderful results.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
19" wheels and low profile tires are not designed for off-roading.

To the OP, you don't need much beyond slightly larger tires with either 17" or 18" wheels. A skid plate is nice to have, and given where you live, check out the Off Road section and order one up from one of our members here.

What "luxury" parts would you get rid of?? The "pushbutton" shifting of the transfer case and differential locks is kind of nice. :- )

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with FSJ on the wheels and tires. Imo, the best mod you can do to perform better offroad are 17'' wheels and aggressive tires with more sidewall. I wouldn't even consider taking a vehicle as heavy as a Touareg, especially a v10, offroad without 10 ply LT tires preferably with a 3 ply sidewall. A p-metric or XL tire is just asking for a puncture.
Skid plates and winch with receivers front and rear would be nice but tires are essential. At any rate, I would try it out with tires and see if you like wheeling it and think you will need to add all that extra gear. If I were dead set on wheeling a Touareg, I would look for a cheap second one with a V8 and steel suspension that I didn't mind smashing on rocks and rubbing trees.

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know anything about the R50 but on the regular V10 you cant fit 17'' wheels with spacers. I know the Canyon wheels fit, I have never tried any others, they may have a different taper.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The R50 is for the street & the '04 V10 is the one I'm thinking of as a beach buggy/off-road weekend fun machine.
The old girl has got 283k on the clock so I'd really need to give the whole car a pretty serious mechanical freshen up to reduce my chances of breaking down in the middle of nowhere & spoiling das fun.
(It's already had the air suspension system removed,,, just before I got it.)
That's the sort of stuff I'm talking about. Stripping some of the fancy tech out when it fails & just make it more of a truck.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Really?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts