Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi crew.
I'm looking at doing a section of the Holland track later this year in my CR.
I'll be travelling with others including my son in our Amarok, so if it all goes wrong I should be ok.
I had an old set of 18" cayenne wheels and A/T tyres from my 7P but they don't fit the CR (annoying).
Has anyone come up with a solution yet, I don't need mud slingers, just a reasonable A/T tyre.
The car has the standard 285/45 20's, the nearest I can find is the cooper Xeon in 275/45/20.
I'd rather go to a smaller wheel and get a better tyre.
Has anyone tried fitting 18's or 19's from the current model cayenne to the CR?
Thanks
DS

·
Registered
21 Posts
The CR in the Adventure variant comes standard with 19”. Have you had a look at what tyres they come with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None of the websites/reviews mention tyres just 19" Esperance wheels and the car won't be in the stealerships for a while yet. They did launch the cars with 18" wheels (in Morocco?) and the sales person said they did a drive day in Queensland in 18" wheels before the Australian launch but they're not listed in the catalog.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did see one at a dealer in Brisbane this week. I may be able to find out for you if you would like to know. Not to say whatever VW have put on the Adventure as standard will necessarily be the best option for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Launch Edition White Sunroof Innovision
245 Posts
Hi crew.
I'm looking at doing a section of the Holland track later this year in my CR.
I'll be travelling with others including my son in our Amarok, so if it all goes wrong I should be ok.
I had an old set of 18" cayenne wheels and A/T tyres from my 7P but they don't fit the CR (annoying).
Has anyone come up with a solution yet, I don't need mud slingers, just a reasonable A/T tyre.
The car has the standard 285/45 20's, the nearest I can find is the cooper Xeon in 275/45/20.
I'd rather go to a smaller wheel and get a better tyre.
Has anyone tried fitting 18's or 19's from the current model cayenne to the CR?
Thanks
DS
I did a 5,000 km trip out to Birdsville on standard tyres fitted to CR and had 2 punctures with one unrepairable.
So after a bit of back and forth as I didn't want to go down in size ended up with Geolander GO15 285 50 20.

So far much better. Although tight for space and clearance I have not had any issues and are a more aggressive tyre which gives me a little more deflation on the sand with more side wall.

Had considered 18's but is not a lot of choice for stud pattern and didn't want to spend money and get wheels that didnt look as good as the Launch Edition wheels.

Need to be careful. I fitted up the Nitto's 285 50 20 but due to teh size of the carcas rubbed, so despite the GO15 's being same size don't touch at all.

Slightly larger overall which also helps speedo be more accurate now only out by 2kms

SO far Happy with very little addtional noise to standard and seem to be good in both Wet and Dry.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
As you discovered, apart from the hole in the middle which has to be exact for pretty obvious reasons, tyre sizes are nominal and can vary in overall diameter by up to half an inch or so even between different models of tyres from the same manufacturer.

The weight of tyres can also vary quite a bit too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could probably go to 275's there's a lot more choice in that size. I'll talk to my tyre shop clients.
I did do a couple of sandy 4WD tracks on the weekend into Stockyard Gully Caves and Leuseur national park near Jurien on the weekend. They were not particularly challenging but did have a few slightly boggy sections. Happy to report the CR went through no problems on off road height. I just left the drive in "eco" and away we went on the standard road 20" tyres. If you do get a chance to get to stockyard gully it's a bit of a drive but well worth it. The cave is huge! You'd only do it if you're staying in Jurien/Green Head.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You are going to struggle for tyres and rims for the new Treg. It’s very limited. Everything is limited for this car.

You need to get the right stud pattern + offset. I am looking into this myself and I will be getting 255/55/R19 and getting a set of Audi 19” rims. Offset for 19” is ET28... Audi and VW are interchangeable.

Regarding Tyres you don’t have a lot of choice but General Grabber, Pirelli At plus and Kuhmo AT51 will give AT tyres option. General Grabber is my preferred choice...but has softish sidewall.
If you have cash to through around a set of Wildpeak AT Trails out of the US will give a decent set of tyres you can take with confidence in the harsh outback tracks.

also if you change tyre size you will need to carry a spare in the boot because of you have a flat, the wheel size may not match the revolution of space saver it can’t be out anymore than 4 revs or you will get whind-up. So that complicates and restricts things further.

Hope this helps in your search.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The T5 uses 5 x 112 pcd versus 5 x 130 pcd for the Ts 1 to 4 with the exception of the R5 which used 5 x 120.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You were talking about getting some different tyres to go go off road. My post was to bring awareness how the tyre size might impact things. There are 2 things you need to consider rim specs (bolt patterns, offset and rim size) but also the tyre size.

The revs is short for revolution, so the tyre spins at a revolution p/km. The standard size is 285/45 R20, you can change to 275/45R20 and both will be within the space saver emergency spare tyre revolution tolerance, the latter to the max.

if you change to a 285/50 R20 or a different size you will need to carry a spare in the boot as you will not be able to use the space saver as your emergency spare if you have a flat tyre. If you do you will cause wind-up in the transmission and affect the TCS.

So if you want to use the space saver as you emergency spare, like for around town etc, then you will need to stick to the sizes mentioned on the tyre plate located on the inside of the drivers door pillar or be within the max tolerance of about 4revs/km -maximum.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
2020 Adventure
11 Posts
I got to have a look at my 2020 Adventure today.. The so called transport company dropped it at an agents at 7pm last night and didn't leave any paper work They didn't try to ring me as it was supposed to drop it off at home. Cant get it now till Monday after the agent tracks down the paper work. Both he and I are rather #$#@@## off.
Anyway rant over. I had a look at the tyres. They are Bridgestone Alenza A001 255/55R19 107W.

·
Registered
2012 180TDI
79 Posts
The 5x112 pcd is very common for VW and Audi, you should be able.to get a million OEM or aftermarket wheels that will fit. Much easier than the 5x130

·
Registered
34 Posts
that came from VW when i enquired about the very same thing you were and I was told the tolerance was on the limit...doing some research online, its consistent. The mechanic also advised they had fixed a previous Touareg that had wind up from uneven tyres (poor rotation i suspect). VW have very small tolerances.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
It's always been the case that all four tyres on the Touareg must be identical as in same size, same make, same model, same tread pattern and same tread depth to within 2 mm on the same axle and to within 3 mm between the axles.

Apart from the hole in the middle which has to be exact for pretty obvious reasons, tyre sizes are nominal and the over diameter, even between different models in the same size from the same manufacturer can vary by up to half an inch.

The Touareg's electronics can deal with a slightly mismatched size wheel/tyre up to the 55 mph /80 kph speed limit that is pasted all over the spacesaver spare but beyond that, unless on a surface that allows the wheel to slip such as snow or gravelthen, as you say, you get transmission wind up.

The wind up may translate into burnt out clutches in the autobox or just juddering.

Over the years quite a few owners on here and elsewhere have fixed so-called transmission problems after getting forum advice to fit 4 new tires or buy 2 to match an existing pair!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts