Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am interested in doing some exhaust work on my V8. I've heard of some folks doing it, but I figured I'd start a fresh thread as I am new to ClubTouareg and I am looking for some detailed steps. In addition I am in Charlotte, NC, so any good shops in the NC area would be great!

I am primarily looking for better gas mileage. I am using a K&N filter (damn that was hard to install on the left side!!!) and I am using Shell V-Power gasoline so that's been giving me right around 15mpg city and low 20s highway. I'm looking for more and oh yeah, a few more horses can't hurt either :-D

So, has anyone does this? Do you have any steps or reccomendations? I'm pretty happy with the exhaust itself, just everything in between...

Oh yeah, will any of this void my warranty?? I'd rather not do that!!

I appreciate any help you folks have to offer.

Thanks....MMS

· Registered
143 Posts
My sales guy mentioned a power gain with the K&N, 'off the record' but couldn't endorse it. I imagine monkeying with exhaust will help hp but might screw up an ECU. Try Porsche or B&B. I think it sounds great myself...interested to hear what kind of gains you get from this mod.

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
A sales guy will say ANYTHING off the record to try to get you to buy his product. It doesn't surprise me that he would tell you that if you add a K&N filter to the car you will get even more HP.

Frankly, "IF" you gain a few hp with the K&N on the V8, you won't feel it but you might hear it in slightly louder intake noise. The V8 already has twice the air filtering capability of the V6 but if you look at the plastic piping prior to the intake, you will see that there is no way you can get all of the air you are filtering into the engine anyway.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
I had a KnN intake system, not just the filter, on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I saw a noticeable difference in power when adding the system but no difference in MPG. If anything you will get worse MPG because you will want to step on it more to hear the intake whoosh and feel the added power.

I would not recommend the KnN for the Touareg. They are a pain in the ass to install. You have to clean them regularly which is an annoying process, and just the filter won't make too much of a difference for the added cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.