Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hardwired a 90 amp XT90 connector under the hood so I can connect my battery charger (without alligator clips). I've done this to all of my cars, as well as our travel trailer. Makes it quick and easy to top off our trailer battery when we go camping, I can charge the trailer battery at a constant 20 amps, even with voltage drops on long cable runs. I can also charge my electric bikes (also XT90), run the charger in reverse and charge the car with my bike battery, or also charge the car from 120v mains. When the car side XT90 is not in use, I have a male plug installed to seal off the connector, and a cable clamp to keep it in place. The fuse holder on the Touareg has a blank spot for an extra circuit, I'm using a 40A midi fuse and 10awg wire. Would have preferred a connector in the back, but it doesn't seem like there would be any heavy gauge 12v leads back there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Just a thought, but why not extend the charging cables to the grill (as I have done), then if by any chance your battery dies when the vehicle is locked, you can easily charge it, without getting extremely pricy help from a locksmith? As well, you can charge and have the hood latched and the vehicle alarm fully functional.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a thought, but why not extend the charging cables to the grill (as I have done), then if by any chance your battery dies when the vehicle is locked, you can easily charge it, without getting extremely pricy help from a locksmith? As well, you can charge and have the hood latched and the vehicle alarm fully functional.
I have a long set of cables that I can plug in and feed through the grill so the hood will close. I don't think I want my connector permanently on the outside, getting exposed to the elements, I feel like under the hood it's well protected.

Wouldn't the emergency key from the key fob get me inside if the battery is dead? On my Range Rover, one of the side marker lights is constant 12v (relay switches the negative lead). Jumping power to the side marker light is how you unlock the car if battery dies. Is there something similar for the Touareg?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I understand your concern, but I have had no issues tucking up the connector (with a cap) into one of the grill rear pockets, it stays there nice and very discrete.
I doubt if there is a live lamp feed ala RR, those Germans are of the opinion nothing would ever dare fail. I had recently assumed the same as you, but there was a recent thread here where an owners treg was totally dead and non responsive to the emergency key. Odd, but apparently true. So....
Mind you, I also have a spare key and fob hidden and isolated on my '12. VW said it couldn't be done but it can. 😎

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion, I took your advice and ran a loop of wire up to the grill. I have both ends of the wire located in the engine compartment, so no need for water proof connectors. From the front of the grill, I can pull the loose end of the loop through the flexible conduit. That should give me an ~18" lead sticking out of the grill, just strip the wire, find a chassis ground, and should be good. Hopefully I'll never need it.

I understand your concern, but I have had no issues tucking up the connector (with a cap) into one of the grill rear pockets, it stays there nice and very discrete.
I doubt if there is a live lamp feed ala RR, those Germans are of the opinion nothing would ever dare fail. I had recently assumed the same as you, but there was a recent thread here where an owners treg was totally dead and non responsive to the emergency key. Odd, but apparently true. So....
Mind you, I also have a spare key and fob hidden and isolated on my '12. VW said it couldn't be done but it can. 😎

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts