Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for anyone with experience with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. I run dedicated pirelli scorpion winters so looking for a summer tire.

I have been running a 275/45/20 currently and the deal on the Hankook are for the 275/40/20. Will there be noticeable difference in the driving experience? Most of my driving is city/highway with the odd gravel/dirt trail but no significant offroad stuff.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you are close to the border, you are better getting tires in the USA. Canada tire prices are terrible. I can't comment on Hankook Ventus. I have had performance tires from Hankook and not that happy. My choice for the money is to use Continental tires for summer and Nokian for the winter. I would try to find a softer compound if you are using a 20" rim. I would never use a rim that size on a Touareg. You will feel the bumps. Hope you have good roads where you live. Go to Tire Rack's website and do some research. I wouldn't buy from there, just they do have some better research on tires and good comments.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are close to the border, you are better getting tires in the USA. Canada tire prices are terrible. I can't comment on Hankook Ventus. I have had performance tires from Hankook and not that happy. My choice for the money is to use Continental tires for summer and Nokian for the winter. I would try to find a softer compound if you are using a 20" rim. I would never use a rim that size on a Touareg. You will feel the bumps. Hope you have good roads where you live. Go to Tire Rack's website and do some research. I wouldn't buy from there, just they do have some better research on tires and good comments.
I have compared US vs. Canadian prices and after factoring in conversion, travel time and gas its definitely not worth it. In fact some of the prices are higher. There was a big delta in pricing a few years ago but that is no longer the case. If you are spending $2k on tires then it might be worth it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have compared US vs. Canadian prices and after factoring in conversion, travel time and gas its definitely not worth it. In fact some of the prices are higher. There was a big delta in pricing a few years ago but that is no longer the case. If you are spending $2k on tires then it might be worth it.
Agreed. I’m in the process of putting Michelin Latitude Tour HP’s on my factor 19’s (which is a $2K set of tires) and just in straight currency conversion the difference between CA and US pricing is only $200 and that’s assuming CBSA waves you across without any tax or duty.

·
Registered
292 Posts
On my 2005 Treg I bought a new set of Hankook Ventus AS RH07 3 years ago and I liked them very much. Vert quiet and soft riding and handled well enough for my driving style. Fast forward to 2018 when my 2009 Treg needed new tires, I searched for the same Hankooks but they weren't available, and the tire shop guy recommended the Nexen Nfera RU01. I had resisted buying Nexens because that's what I had on my 2005 Treg (although a different model) and they rode quite harshly, but it was getting late and I really wanted to get new tires, so I went ahead with the Nfera's. I tell you I wasn't disappointed. They weren't as soft as the Hankooks, but they were very reasonalble and the handling was just as good if not better. We don't really have wet conditions here so I can't say anything about that, but in normal dry conditions they are very good.
Now these aren't high performance tires, but we're not talking about Ferraris here. The Nfera's cost me a total of the equivalent of $530 USD, which is a fraction of what Pirellis or Michelins would have cost.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I just put 4 new Hankook Ventus ST RH06 on last summer and love them. Much more quiet than my previous Scorpions, and they are much better in the wet.

Tires were about $350 each here in Canada. I ordered them from Walmart.com and had them delivered for free to a Walmart just over the US border. I got them for $135 USD each, then paid $100 for mounting and balancing all 4. I declared them at the border and was waved through. Fuel and time included, I saved more than 50%.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts